Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 28th, 2009 09:00

NEW XPS 730x Owner's thread

Will float this for 3 months, then start another one.

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

54 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 08:00

On my 730x with Windows 7 in Devices and Printers, it shows - Unspecified - ESA update FW.  Does anyone know what that is and if there is a driver I need?

Thank you in advance.

54 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 08:00

Also - does anyone know where to find the Dell Premium Optical Mouse suite that would be compatible with Windows 7?

Again, thank you in advance.

January 1st, 2010 07:00

Also - does anyone know where to find the Dell Premium Optical Mouse suite that would be compatible with Windows 7?

Again, thank you in advance.

You could try installing the latest Windows 7 version of the Logitech software.  Typically, the Dell mice are just Logitech internals.

January 1st, 2010 07:00

The BIOS is another issue that seems to never actually get addressed.

The writing is on the wall.  It's been months since the 730x was dropped like a bad habit.  Still no new BIOS to fix the startup slowness or USB issues.  Still, practically no native Windows 7 drivers listed.  Still no official word from anyone at Dell on if/when they plan to do anything with the 730x going forward.  And, I doubt there ever will be.

It's a great platform, but I must say I am disappointed with Dell for just dropping it.  Either they saw there were unfixable issues and decided to get out while the gettin' was good (in which case we all deserve our money back), or Dell doesn't really care about supporting and communicating with it's customers who are buying their most expensive products.

I fear what will happen the day mine breaks.  I really don't want a hideously ugly Alienware, or a small form factor XPS 9000 in exchange.

I guess I'll just keep praying mine keeps working!

54 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 22:00

I did install the Logitech software - to no avail.  Dell sends me the link to R164209 - which does not work with Windows 7.  It installs, but there is not any "Suite" to adjust the functions of the mouse.  I had the Dell Mouse Suite installed on Vista 64, but now I cannot find and version to work with Win 7 64 and Dell just keeps sending me to links that do not work - many from 2006.

940 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 11:00

I think he was saying to go to www.logitec.com and download the software from them. Try this http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/433/147?osid=14&other_downloads=0

January 5th, 2010 03:00

Hi Chris,

I have a standard 730x H2C which comes with a GeForce GTX285 (I think). Are there any instructions somewhere that tell me how to install a second card, if at all possible? Problems foreseen are power cables, power supply capacity and this plastic bracket which seems somehow added to hold it in position. I need the second card to be able to hook up 4 monitors in total.

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 5th, 2010 07:00

Here you go.

January 5th, 2010 08:00

Thanks, however it does not say which card I should add, i.e. is supported by the installed power supply. I opened the casing and see a GTX280 is installed, which is no longer introduced. Can I add a GTX275?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 5th, 2010 12:00

I would not mix them. The GTX 280 doesn't have to be a Dell video card. You should be able to find one locally. The only problem I see is whether you can find an SLI bridge locally.

January 5th, 2010 23:00

I checked several of my suppliers and none have the 280, which is not surprising considering its age. Note I intend to drive one monitor per output, so there is no need for SLI.

22 Posts

January 7th, 2010 17:00

Can i install a motherboard with the Extended ATX form factor in the 730x?  thanks.

January 8th, 2010 06:00

I assume you implied the 280 can be powered from the current power supply, so I ordered a 275 which uses less power and I do not need the SLI anyway. Thanks for the help.

650 Posts

January 8th, 2010 06:00

I checked several of my suppliers and none have the 280, which is not surprising considering its age. Note I intend to drive one monitor per output, so there is no need for SLI.

Here's one on TigerDirect for $279.  BFG GTX 280

Can i install a motherboard with the Extended ATX form factor in the 730x?  thanks.

No, it must be a standard ATX or micro ATX motherboard.

22 Posts

January 8th, 2010 08:00

Does anyone (PH3NOM?) know if the H2C cooling will work on another motherboard ? I'm currently thinking of changing the board because 6GB isn't happening! 

Thanks guys, any input as to whether i'll need a new cooler would be appreciated. 

XPS 730x H2C 

No Events found!