Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2016 12:00

NIC card failing

I am running a Dell XPS8700 with Windows 10 Pro & Office 365. When I purchased this machine the OS was windows 7 Pro. It ran for over a year with no problems to speak of.

I went through the trauma of upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and Office 365 in early June 1016. About a week after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and Office 365 I could not access my network and hence the internet. After a couple of days of this I learned how to reset the nic card with the cmd prompt “netsh winsock reset”. This solved the problem, temporarily at least.

As it turned out about every couple of weeks since then the nic card has failed, but resetting it fixed it for another couple of weeks. This went on until three days ago when I had to go through resetting the nic card at least once a day.

Back when the problem first started happening I uploaded the latest firmware.

Now when I reset the nic card, it dies again within 30 minutes.

This seems to be a hardware problem or a firmware problem.

Where can I get the latest firmware for the nic card, and how do I know if it is installed properly?

Where is the nic card in my machine?

Where do I get another nic card?

Thank you,

Bob

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2017 16:00

I don't know what happened after sending my last note. All your responses disappeared.

Because now you're on page 2 of this thread, and the OP is repeated at the top of every new page in a thread. Click the button (under the thread title) for page 1 if you want to see all the previous posts in this thread.

Still think this is a software issue, but swap the cards and see what happens. Be sure to Uninstall the driver for the old WiFi card in Device Manager before physically removing the card. Then power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Pull old card out and install the new card, boot up and install the new card's driver...

28 Posts

December 29th, 2016 08:00

A clarification. When the NIC card is failing. the system looks like it is connected to the network, but I cannot access the network or the internet.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 29th, 2016 10:00

Microsoft has been having so many problems with Network situations they have posted a sticky on the Microsoft Community site.  You might look it over to see if it will help.  

You can't respond to the thread directly but any info you can gain would be helpful here.

answers.microsoft.com/.../f121306e-fab5-411d-833f-e4490ecb8b5c

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 29th, 2016 10:00

Are you sure this is a hardware problem and not software, or could it be your ISP timing your connection out?   Do other devices on your network have a similar problem? When was last time you rebooted the router/modem?

Exactly how are you connecting to the network? Are you using the onboard NIC hardwired through the  Ethernet jack to a router/modem or are you using WiFi?

Did you install the latest Win 10 drivers for the onboard NIC and/or WiFi card?

For starters, go into Device Manager and look for the Network adapter entry for either the onboard NIC or the WiF card, whichever you're using. Double-click it and then click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...".

If you're using WiFi, then go to the Win 10 Power Options screen. Identify the currently used power plan and click the link to change its settings. On next screen click the link for Advanced options. Look in the list at left for settings related to WiFi. Set Power Savings to Minimum. Be sure to save the change to the power plan if prompted.

Reboot when you're done and see if this helps...

BTW: The onboard NIC cannot be replaced unless you get a new motherboard, but you could install and add-in PCI-e NIC card. If this is a WiFi problem, the existing add-in WiFi card can be easily replaced.

28 Posts

December 30th, 2016 09:00

Thank you for your response Ron. I think I have addressed your questions below.

Are you sure this is a hardware problem and not software, or could it be your ISP timing your connection out? Do other devices on your network have a similar problem? When was last time you rebooted the router/modem?

The thing is I do not know if it is a software or hardware problem. I have two laptops that never have this problem, and our TV can stream for hours with no problems. The laptops were upgraded to Windows 10 and Office 365 during the same week I upgraded my desktop. I am sure the problem is not my ISP timing me out, the modem, or my router. I reboot the modem and router at least once a week, and I last checked the router for new firmware a few days ago. Also, my wireless printer has no connection problems. The problem is isolated to my Dell XPS8700 desktop. I apologize for not stating so in my query.

Exactly how are you connecting to the network? Are you using the onboard NIC hardwired through the Ethernet jack to a router/modem or are you using WiFi?

Did you install the latest Win 10 drivers for the onboard NIC and/or WiFi card?

I am using WIFI to connect. The card is a Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4Ghz).

Months ago when the problem first occurred I upgraded the driver for the PCi card. This was also after upgrading to Windows 10.

For starters, go into Device Manager and look for the Network adapter entry for either the onboard NIC or the WiF card, whichever you're using. Double-click it and then click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...".

On the Power Management the “Allow PC to turn off...” is unchecked.

If you're using WiFi, then go to the Win 10 Power Options screen. Identify the currently used power plan and click the link to change its settings. On next screen click the link for Advanced options. Look in the list at left for settings related to WiFi. Set Power Savings to Minimum. Be sure to save the change to the power plan if prompted.

As for power options, the Wireless Adapter Setting is for “Maximum Performance”, and the PCi Express power management is OFF.

I call this a NIC problem because I first got around it by resetting the NIC card. Prior to this problem occurring I knew very little about the wireless hardware. This has been an education, but I still do not know much.

Bob

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 30th, 2016 17:00

One more thingy...

Any chance you can turn off WiFi and hard wire the PC from its Ethernet port directly to the router? That might be the easiest fix, assuming you don't need miles of Ethernet cable and holes in walls to reach the router...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 30th, 2016 17:00

The commands you used reset your network connection.

If nothing else on your network is having this problem, at least that narrows things down to this PC. When the WiFi stops responding, do mouse and keyboard still work?

Did you check out the link that Saltgrass posted for Win 10 problems with internet connections?

Is this the driver you installed for the WiFi card? 

Is this PC farther from the router than other devices on your network, or is something blocking its signal?  Can you move the router closer to this PC - at least for a test?

Have you played with the settings for the WiFi card in Device Manager and/or the router settings? The default Win 10 settings for WiFi in my Dell laptop with Dell's driver were terrible and it would drop out regularly. So I did some tests with some different settings and changed the channel used by the router and PC to one that's less crowded. NOTE: You will have to change the channel settings for other devices on your network, if you change the router's channel settings.  

While it's possible the WiFi card is failing, I'd be inclined toward software at this point. Did you upgrade to Win 10 "on top" of Win 7 or did you do a clean install of Win 10? If you did it "on top", it's possible the upgrade wasn't perfect and that created this problem.

So you might want to consider a clean install of Win 10. Yes, it's time consuming and you have to make sure all personal files are backed up on external media first, and you'll have to reinstall all your software, etc. so make sure you have the installation disks and product keys.. And there's no promise that will fix the problem.

But if you buy a new WiFi card or a USB WiFi dongle and still have the same issues, you'll have spent the $ and may end up having to reinstall Win 10 on this desktop anyway...

28 Posts

December 30th, 2016 20:00

If nothing else on your network is having this problem, at least that narrows things down to this PC. When the WiFi stops responding, do mouse and keyboard still work?

When the failure happens, the PC works fine, except that I cannot get to the network. If I check the connection, it says it is connected, but cannot access online.

Is this the driver you installed for the WiFi card?

Yes, that is the driver I installed.

Is this PC farther from the router than other devices on your network...

The router sits about 2ft above the PC. My wife's laptop is about 60 feet away and it has no problem.

Today I reseated the PCi mini card after cleaning the contacts. But it did not fix the problem. Since then I ordered an Intel Advanced-N 6235 WLAN Bluetooth half mini card. It should be here by Tuesday. Will let you know how it works out. I would rather spend the few $ and replace the card than spend the time basically wiping my PC and reinstalling everything. Already did that with one of my laptops when the hard drive crashed. Don’t want to do it to my desktop unless absolutely necessary. It has a lot more software on it than the laptop had.

Bob

28 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 14:00

Any chance you can turn off WiFi and hard wire the PC from its Ethernet port directly to the router? That might be the easiest fix, assuming you don't need miles of Ethernet cable and holes in walls to reach the router...

How do I turn off the WIFI other than tell it not to automatically connect? Is there anything else I must do after hard wiring the PC to the router other than plugging in the cable?

Bob

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 2nd, 2017 16:00

Open Device Manager and expand the list under Network Adapters. Double-click the entry for the WiFi card. Set it to "Disabled", close Device Manager, and reboot.  (The option to disable it may be on the  Drivers tab in the WiFi entry for Win 10.)

After that, you'll have to run the Win 10 Network wizard  so Windows configures itself to use the NIC.

28 Posts

January 4th, 2017 14:00

Open Device Manager and expand the list under Network Adapters. Double-click the entry for the WiFi card. Set it to "Disabled", close Device Manager, and reboot. (The option to disable it may be on the Drivers tab in the WiFi entry for Win 10.)

After that, you'll have to run the Win 10 Network wizard so Windows configures itself to use the NIC.

After doing all that I lost the network to all my PCs, printer, and TV. I actually lost the router to the WIFI. I could connect with an Ethernet cable, but that is not a workable solution. Also, when I was hard wire connected to the network with one of the PCs, I could not see anything else on the network, and no other PC could see me.

I had to reset my router back to factory defaults, and then install it as if I was installing a new router.

I have received my new PCi network adapter. When the problem occurs again, I will install it.

The new PCi adapter is an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 6235ANHMW Wlan Bluetooth 4.0 Half MINI Card 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual-band 300 Mbps. Can you tell me which driver I should install for that board in my Dell XPS8700. I have an Intel driver downloaded, but it seems there ought to be a Dell driver for the board also, since Intel boards are used in other Dell machines.

Thanks,

Bob

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2017 15:00

Can I assume all devices on the network (Ethernet and WiFi) are working again and no dropped connections now that the XPS 8700 is hard wired?

If the new WiFi card needs a driver, it would have come on a disk or at least with a link to download it from the Intel site. There's nothing else you'd need to install from Dell.

Keep in mind that the driver for the new card probably won't work with the old WiFi card. So don't install the new driver unless/until you decide to swap cards. Otherwise, it's unlikely the old card will work if you install a different driver.

28 Posts

January 4th, 2017 18:00

The XPS8700 is not hardwired. I couldn’t get the network to work with it hardwired. I am back to wireless with all machines.

I ordered the new card from Amazon.com and all I got was the card itself.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 5th, 2017 10:00

If you installed the new card, installed the Intel driver, and everything is working correctly, you don't need to do anything else.

28 Posts

January 6th, 2017 11:00

If you installed the new card, installed the Intel driver, and everything is working correctly, you don't need to do anything else.

I have received the new card but have not installed it yet. Since resetting the router back to factory specs and setting up the network again, the problem has not returned yet. It use to happen every couple of weeks until around Christmas where I couldn't go more than a couple of hours, many times less than 30 minutes before it would fail. Now this is the third day with no re-occurrence. Also, I noticed that another at least once a day problem while downloading emails has not happened since setting up the network again.
As a side note: The router was installed Feb 2016, long before I upgraded to Windows 10. Maybe I needed to re-setup the network after upgrading to Windows 10. However, that doesn't explain why the other PCs were not seeing the problems. The other PCs are running Windows 10 Home whereas the Dell XPS8700 is running Windows 10 Pro. Stranger things have happened in my 25 years of working on computer hardware/software both large and small.
If the NIC problem re-occurs, I will replace the card, install the new driver, and go from there.
Thanks for all your effort to help.
Bob
Now watch. Now that I have told you that the problem may be resolved, my network will fail trying to transmit this response. LOL
No Events found!