Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2010 08:00

NO HDMI output on new Studio XPS 8100

Need some help. Just bought a new Studio XPS 8100 with the I7 and ATI RADEON 5770 HD. I bought a new 23" vizio LED HDTV and tried to connect the PC to it via HDMI but am not getting a connection. I heard a sound when I disconnected the HDMI cable but all I get is a blue screen with no connection. Do I need to change something in the settings or update a driver. Any help would be great. Thanks. NOTE: this tv has no dvi so HDMI would be perfect for me...

261 Posts

February 12th, 2010 16:00

Well I don't have quite your setup but it's close enough to be of assistance I think. I have the Studio XPS 435T with the ATI 4870 and a Vizio 37" LED HDTV. I used the DVI to RGB converter that came with the 4870 and placed the connector in the Vizio's PC slot which is RGB my HDMI cable is not used in this since I connected sound from the Sound Blaster Card with Toslink Fiber and not the onboard sound in the ATI. Specs are below.............

April 12th, 2010 08:00

did you ever get this problem resolved?

3 Posts

June 6th, 2010 13:00

I have the exact same configuration (including Vizio LCD) with the exact same issue.   It can be overcome by using the DVI-HDMI adaptor sent with the system, but then BR-DVDs run into HDCP issues.    The best solution would be getting output from the HDMI connection on the desktop...  Can anyone help?

3 Posts

June 7th, 2010 07:00

Just spent 3 hours with Dell support.    NVidia card (GeForce GTS 240 1024Mb GDDR3) has DVI outputs.  When I use the Dell supplied adaptor to connect an HDMI cable to my Vizio VA26L10T's HDMI port, Power DVD DX gives me an HDCP error code.  NVidia control panel says my monitor is not compliant, which is incorrect as it plays BR's fine when connected to an external player.  So the problem is with the card, the software, or the adaptor?

Nice of Dell to set me up with a BR-DVD in a configuration that won't play BR...  

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 7th, 2010 08:00

Adding a PCIe x16 video card disables the onboard HDMI port. One option is to remove the addin video card and enable the onboard video card which will turn on the onboard HDMI port. The second option is to return the addin video card and get one of these:
F834P Nvidia GeForce GT220 1GB M205 DVI-I, HDMI, VGA $50
KP8GM Ati Radeon HD 5450 M114A 1GB DDR3 Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, VGA $50
HWHRN Ati Radeon HD 5670 M206 1GB GDDR5 Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, VGA $100
GCJ42 Ati Radeon HD 5770 P120A Juniper XT Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort

These video cards do not have HDMI and disabled the onboard HDMI when installed:
FTGGG Nvidia GeForce G310 M114N 512MB DDR3 Dual Link DVI-I, DisplayPort, VGA 0$
9JDYJ Nvidia GeForce GTS240 P118N 1GB GDDR3 Two Dual Link DVI-I, HDTV Out $130
5X2CH Nvidia GeForce GTX260 P201N 1.7GB GDDR3 Two Dual Link DVI-I, HDTV Out $230

3 Posts

June 7th, 2010 12:00

Chris- thanks, this answer is helpful.  However, I have spoken to 3 Customer Care reps on the support line, all telling me I have to pack up and return the entire system, that I can't just return the card and get a new one.   Are you able to connect me with someone at Dell that can actually make your simpler, cheaper suggestion happen?   I am perfectly willing to pay for the difference in cost of the cards even though I am still annoyed that Dell would ship me incompatible components.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

June 15th, 2010 11:00

kenpratt,

Click my username, click Add as Friend, in the blank area I need the following, then click Send request -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
PC Service Tag number:
Reason: Studio XPS 8100 HDMI conflict

June 25th, 2010 02:00

Chris

I have the same problem as ken with my XPS 8100 and my ST2310 Monitor.

Shipped with NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240.

Can you help me please

1 Message

June 29th, 2010 10:00

Chris,

I as well have the same problem.  I have a XPS8100 with a GTX260 card.  I have been trying all different options to try to get it to work to no avail.  Thanks for letting me know what the root cause is. 

Can you help me please.

1 Message

June 30th, 2010 06:00

A friend just ordered the XPS 8100 with the Dell ST2010-BLK monitor.  She already has a monitor the will connect using VGA, can she use a DVI-HDMI cable to connect her nVidia 310 video card to the new monitor for dual monitor use (extended desktop)?

June 30th, 2010 07:00

I had the same problem that you guys all have. But my system had an ATI card. I am not exactly sure what I did to fix it. But to validate whether it was the card or the monitor, I  swapped monitors with my roommate.

1. I unplugged my monitor and plugged it into his computer and his PS3. The monitor worked with HDMI.

2. I plugged his monitor into my PC and........... strangely my HDMI output on my video card now worked...

this didn't make sense, because it proved that both the monitor and the card were ok....so i thought it had to be something with combining the two.

But when I plugged my monitor back into my video card via the HDMI... it started working......

I am not sure whether the monitor got into some kind of state and needed a different source to reset its self... or if the card needed a different output.... but since most of you guys don't have an ATI card.. it looks like it might be an issue with the monitor.

1 Message

October 15th, 2010 18:00

It's a pity that Dell did not notify me of the implications of selecting certain Video cards on the inability of my HDMI connector of not working.

December 11th, 2010 09:00

I have a Studio XPS 8100 with an ATI Radeon 5770 (PCIe x16 card), it is a factory / mass produced version. Reading the specs on my card, it says HDMI is supported

with the video card ("Integrated HDMI 1.3 output with Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio") however the HDMI slot on the back of my computer will not send a signal either to my Asus VH236H monitor, or a Samsung HDTV. Not really sure if there is anyway for me to get the HDMI port working without changing graphics cards... hoping there is

December 11th, 2010 09:00

Just fixed my problem; the original HDMI output on the computer case was deactivated from the card, but the video card had an additional output on the rear of the card, near the bottom of the pc where the VGA input was, just used the other port and all was good.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2010 20:00

Chris,

You stated "One option is to remove the addin video card and enable the onboard video card which will turn on the onboard HDMI port."

Can you clarify how to enable the onboard video card? It does not appear in the Windows 7 Device Manager and the BIOS only lists an HDMI audio option which is already enabled.

My PC is a Dell XPS Studio 8100

No Events found!