Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2012 23:00

New Precision T7500 (dual Xeon E5620 with NVidia Quadro 4000) hangs and restarts constantly

I just got my computer today and after using it for a while the monitor first shut off (reporting that there was no signal from the DVI cable).

Then I noticed that the USB Keyboard was not responding, or the mouse.

The CD tray will open and close though.

Then this issue started happening about every 10 minutes of continued use. Black screen (as if it were in power save mode), then it started restarting itself after being in the black screen mode.

After the restart, Windows 76 (64-bit) says that there was a BSOD and gives (some) details.

Dual Xeon E5620

4GB RAM (2x2GB sticks)

NVidia Quadro 4000 2GB DDR5

Windows 7 Pro

Dual 300GB SCSI 15K hard drives.

Help, please!

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

August 1st, 2012 03:00

Hi there,

Very sorry to hear that you're having issues with your system but I'd be more than happy to try and help you resolve these.

The first thing that we should do is to try and get the exact details from the BSOD. If you can make a note of the STOP code, it would be a great help. The STOP code is next to the word STOP and takes the form 0x000000ZZ (where ZZ are two hexadecimal numbers). Also, please double-check this BSOD for any mentioned filenames as this can give a good indication of where the issue lies.

If the system reboots too quickly for you to read the BSOD, please switch off automatic restarts. To do this, please go to the Windows Start menu and select Control Panel. Click on the Systems and Security link and then on the System link. Next, click on the "Advanced system settings" link. Click the Settings button at the Startup and Recovery section and then uncheck Automatically restart. Click OK until you are out of the System Properties window.

Also, I think it's a good idea to run the diagnostics as this may find a hardware fault. To do this, please switch the system on and press F12 at the Dell Splash Screen to enter the Boot Menu. Here, please select Diagnostics. Allow the Pre-Boot System Diagnostics to run, making a note of any error codes that you may receive.

If there are no issues, you should be asked if you wish to run the 32-bit Diagnostics - allow the system to do so and then select Test System and then Extended Test. Again, make a note of any error codes that you may receive.

I hope to hear from you soon and again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

32 Posts

August 1st, 2012 09:00

Thanks for your reply. I contacted support last night and we ran through several diagnostics and he also removed into my machine to do some troubleshooting.

The cause was determined to be a faulty video card so I am getting a replacement on the mail today or tomorrow. I'll reply here to indicate whether that solved the problem.

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 01:00

Hi there,

I'm glad to hear that our support teams have helped you out on this - please let us know if the video card resolved the problem.

Thanks!

32 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 12:00

Yes, the issue appears to be resolved. Although I installed it last night and still would like to run some more tests (i.e. let the machine run for a couple of hours doing something to ensure the issue doesn't reoccur).

The very first thing I noticed was the noise of the fan in the new card. I recall thinking "how quiet this machine is", and now it makes sense, I think the fan on the broken video card was not running at all.

How long do I have before I need to send the other card back?

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

August 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi there,

Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner - I missed the notification with your reply. Sorry about that!

I'm glad to hear that the problem is resolved. As for the timeframe in which you need to send back the faulty card, policies regarding deliveries and returns vary between region to region - for example, in my region (UK), the replacement is delivered by courier and then the courier returns on the following day.

What I would advise you to do would be to contact your local Dell Technical Support team who will be able to either arrange the return with you or will be able to give you more information on how to go about this.

No Events found!