Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2000 00:00

New computer won't start.....

if it's been shutdown for a while. It will restart without problems but if I shutdown for more than an hour or so or try to start in the am after being off overnight, it takes forever to get started, like there could be a thermal related problem. It appears that everything is working OK, all lights on drives are on, but nothing happens. I've removed and re-installed all cards and cables and the processor too.

Perplexed??

Tim
XPST700r
256mb ram
purchased 5/30/00

1.4K Posts

August 14th, 2000 01:00

In your Power Management settings, be sure "Standby" is set to "Never".

Dan

1.4K Posts

August 14th, 2000 02:00

Good question, Brad. The short answer is, I don't know. It would seem that once the HDD and, Monitor has shut down, the effect would be the same but, I don't hear about the same problems as engaging "Standby".

The Standby feature simultaneously shuts down both the Monitor and the Hard Disk. I don't know if it disengages anything else or not. You can go into your Windows "Help" and learn a good bit about the power management functions and their purpose. The primary stated purpose is to conserve energy, most of which is consumed by the Monitor.

According to my Windows 98 book the primary purpose for the Standby feature is to prevent scheduled maintenance and other applications from running while on battery power.

Dan

16 Posts

August 14th, 2000 02:00

Just a question, since I've seen mention of this a few times. What is the difference between "standby" and having the hard drive and monitor settings set to turn off after a certain amount of time. And since the concensus is not to use standby, should I not use the " turn off hard drive" and "monitor" settings too?
BTW Dan, thanks for the earlier advice you provided to me on an earlier thread.

7 Posts

August 14th, 2000 20:00

Anymore help?

Tim

1.1K Posts

August 14th, 2000 23:00

When nothing happens when you turn the computer on, check the back panel. There should be 4 LEDs. If they are not all green, they are indicating a problem of some sort. You can see a reference chart of what the LED combinations mean here.

No Events found!