Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

November 15th, 2016 21:00

No Operating System Found

This is my first time on here so I hope I am in the right location for the problem I have.

I have a Dell XPS 8300 with i7-2600 CPU @3.4 ghz.  It came with Windows 7 but upgraded to Windows 10 before I seen a Dell post saying not to upgrade the XPS to Windows 10 so I am not sure if the error I am getting has anything to do with it.  It worked fine till about a month ago.

I have never had any problems with my PC till I plugged in a friends U-drive to help him with a resume. I was using Word 2013 when it froze, then my PC froze so I did a hard reboot. Everything came up as normal but I couldn't find the word document I was working on. MS Support said to do an all files search using   .wbk files   and to click on the file and search for the missing word document. I did that and a program started loading called    adware.bp . I click don't install and conducted a search again for the word document and the same program popped and started loading again. I again clicked don't install and then all my problems started.  

I found the document and I started working on it. I closed Word and came back to it and it said Word was not initialized. I clicked on Excel and it said Excel was not initialized. I did a normal reboot and I got the error ' No operating System Found ', I did a complete Dell Diagnostic check and everything came back as normal operating condition. Both hard drives are working, ram is working and everything else checked out fine. I accessed the BIOS and everything is showing up on there. I ran an Ubuntu program and all files and programs etc are fine and all partitions are in place. Everything seems normal but my PC won't boot up at power on.

My recovery disc doesn't work and I have tried Windows 10 recovery and that didn't work either.  I was going to do a factory rest but the F8 key doesn't work as well. I thought a virus must have loaded from my friend u-drive so a ran a bootable virus program and the first thing it said was my PC was in sleep mode and to wake it up. I have no idea how to do that with the issues going on with my desktop PC.. 

I have downloaded all the files and photos I want to keep. Now I would like to do a hard factory reset if that is possible. I've been told to do a Windows 10 re-install but I will loose all the partitions which I don't want to do if at all possible.  

I'm sorry if I have been a little long winded but I don't know how else to explain what is going on with my XPS 8300. If anyone is familiar with what is happening on my desktop,  I would really appreciate the help or advise in getting it running again.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 16th, 2016 07:00

Hi hunterglen1,

It sounds as though your OS has become corrupted.

Here is a link to some information you may find helpful for reinstalling the OS.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 16th, 2016 08:00

My XPS 8300 has been running Windows 10 since the Insider Preview Build 10130. Sounds more like you were infected by malware. Attempt the following, first use Linux (Ubuntu or Fedora) to copy your files to an external HDD:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/data-recovery-using-fedora/ 

Then securely wipe the HDD/SSD:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/cleaning-up-a-drive-format-vs-secure-wipe-ssd-and-hdd/ 

Then clean install Windows 10 RS1:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

March 3rd, 2017 20:00

Hi Robert,  I tried what you suggest and Philip but to no avail.  Nothing worked so I called Dell and  got a factory reinstall disk.  I went through the reinstall setup and clicked on the drive to install the OS to but it wouldn't load. I got the error "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information". I don't know where to find the setup logs so I called Dell and the tech said the hard drives have crashed and I need to replaced them. I took the hard drives out, took them to work and our IT manager tested them on a setup called the Toaster.  It checked the drives and one was fried and one was good. I asked him to reformat the good drive so he did and I bought a new SSD to replace the bad HD. My system SATA mode is AHCI so it should be compatible with a SSD. I reinstalled both drives and had the SSD in the SATA 0 position to load the OS onto.  Went through the same installation setup and then got the same error massage on the new SSD. I switched SATA cables and reran the Windows 7 setup and still got the same error on the reformatted HD.  Any ideas what is going on.  

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 4th, 2017 04:00

Try with only the SSD in SATA0. SATA operation at AHCI. 

No Events found!