Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2016 10:00

No internet connection unless I restart after initial startup

My new Inspiron 3059 AIO connected to the internet just fine at first.  But for the last few days I've been having a problem when I start up for the first time in the a.m.  The network icon will have a small asterisk next to it, and when I open the browser, the home page will be unavailable.  When I click on the network icon, it will show my home network name and say "secured", but when I click on it and try to "connect" it will say that it cannot connect with this network.  If I then do a restart, the connection will be restored.  (There's no problem getting back online if the system has been in sleep mode).

I've run the network troubleshooter, which comes up with no solution.  I've checked to see that the proper network ID and password are there, so I don't think the computer is forgetting those items.  And my phone, tablet and old computer connect with no problem so I don't think it's the modem or router.

Any ideas why I always have to restart the computer immediately after an initial startup in order to get online?  (Details: Inspiron 3059, Windows 10, Linksys E900 router, Arris SB6141 modem).  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

February 19th, 2016 11:00

And if you do nothing about the missing WiFi connection after booting, and just leave it alone, does it eventually connect to the WiFi on its own?

If it eventually connects on its own, I'd wonder if a WiFi service is set to Automatic - Delayed Start at boot. Or maybe some other Windows setting is causing the prob.

Does the problem occur if you boot in Safe Mode?

You can look in Device Manager on the Power Management tab for the WiFi card to see if it's set to "Allow PC to turn off...", and uncheck that box. Then reboot and see what happens.

Also look on your Windows Power options settings screen (Advanced options) and adjust all the settings for WiFi to max performance.

Since the system is new and probably under warranty, maybe Dell can replace the WiFi card if this isn't a software issue...

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

February 18th, 2016 10:00

Is this WiFi or Ethernet problem?

If you wait a few min after booting without doing anything about the network connection, does it eventually connect on its own, without rebooting?

There was a recent Win 10 cumulative update so maybe that update did something. Have you tried updating (or reinstalling) the network (Ethernet and/or WiFi) driver for the 3059 and Win 10? Manually set a System Restore point first, just to be safe.

34 Posts

February 19th, 2016 09:00

Sorry, forgot to mention: It's a WiFi problem, and only with this computer.  My phone, tablet and even my old Dimension 4700 desktop (still running XP)  all work fine from the get-go on this WiFi network.  It's only the new Inspiron 3059 that has the problem.  And I can get it connected OK with ethernet.  

Thinking that maybe the router is somehow losing its memory, I tried leaving modem & router on overnight, instead of shutting down their power strip, yet the same routine this a.m.: (1) Boot up, no connection (asterisk showing on network icon on taskbar), (2) click on icon and attempt to connect, get message "Can't connect to this network".  (3) Restart computer -- voila!  Connected.

The Dell update tool indicates that all drivers are up to date, and I've updated the router's firmware (Linksys E900).  Would reinstalling the Ethernet/WiFi driver possibly make any difference?

34 Posts

February 19th, 2016 13:00

I can let it sit idle after startup for a good 10 - 15 minutes, and nothing happens.  I haven't tried booting in Safe Mode yet -- I guess that's my next stop.

When I pull up the Power Management tab for WiFi, it shows these things with checkmarks:

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

"Allow this device to wake the computer" and beneath that one "Only allow a magic packet to wake this computer"

I'll try unchecking those to see what difference it makes; stay tuned & thanks.

34 Posts

February 21st, 2016 08:00

Problem appears to be solved: I tried your suggestion about Power Management, by unchecking the three boxes I mentioned in the last post.  Now, each time I start up the connection is established within a few seconds after I log into Windows.  Thanks for your advice!

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

February 21st, 2016 19:00

Excellent!

No Events found!