Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2006 17:00

Nvidia GeForce 6800 xps 600 problems

(posting this in both video and monitors forums)

I recently received my dell xps 600 with windows xp media center edition, 1GB RAM, dual core 2.8mHz processor, geforce 6800 video card, dual tv tuner, 1907FP lcd monitor.  Have tried dell support with no luck…so here goes.

The screen shows a very grainy picture, like tiny pixels dancing and sparkling. This makes JPEGs unviewable, movies unwatchable, games unplayable, unless I want it all to look like junk. Now and then when a lot is going on onscreen, the monitor begins to slowly flash with a purple hue all the way to a blinding whiteness before flashing and doing it again – this also causes the mouse to be unresponsive and the system to slow to a 386 crawl. Optimum resolution is set – 1280x1024, 32 bit, refresh rate is correct, although the grainyness and sparkly pixels is there no matter how it’s set.  Monitor self-test is fine, so I’m guessing the problem lies somewhere in the communication between the video card and the monitor

have installed latest drivers correctly - no help, have run video card diagnostics - no help, have tried video card tweaks and adjustments like gamma and color correction - no help.

took advice of dell support agent and opened the case and “reseated” the card – didn’t help. Tried putting video card into other available motherboard slot – no help.  Problem exists with either dvi cable or analog.

Dell suggests contacting nvidia for help…nvidia says go to dell for help since they built it.  Any suggestions for tweaks, adjustments, fixes, opinions will be greatly appreciated, or I’ll have to ship this beast back, because I’ve spent two weeks with my new $2700 computer doing nothing but trying to make it look right, and now it’s pretty irritating. Maybe someone with experience in the NvidiaGeForce 6800 will have some tips for advanced settings or something.  Thanks in advance.

Please don’t post links to troubleshooters and drivers and manuals…you won’t be helping me…I’ve tried it all.

601 Posts

March 27th, 2006 20:00

Problem exists with either dvi cable or analog

Can you elaborate the above statement? It sounds like you already knew what the problem was but not sure why you haven't tried to change the cables. The monitor should come with both cables, dvi and d-sub.
Otherwise you could very well have a bad 6800 on hands.

PC Aviator
Dell XPS Gen4, 2GB Dell 2405FPW Display Window XP MCE-2005
Webroot SpySweeper 4.7 & Trend Micro™PC-cillin™InternetSecurity2006
HDTV Dual Tuners: RCA-ATSC11 & ATI WONDER
400GB SATA& WD160GB in RAID-0 NEC-3550A & NEC-3520A DVD-R/W
SB X-Fi Plat/LTech MX1000 & X530 5.1 Nost N52 & Saitek X52 Flight Ctlr
XFX 7800GT @470/1200 3Dmark06: [3800] 3Dmark05:[7100]
Games:FS2004 with MegaSceneries/SH3/IL2-PCF/Race Sims
---------------------------------------------------------------
AMD A64 3500+ Venice @2.42ghz(o/c)/ OCZ 1GB Dell 2005FPW Display
Win x64 Pro Edition & Avast v/s WD Raptor 37gb SATA & 160GB SATA2 in RAID-0
Sony DVD-R/W & Sammy CD-R/W ECS KN1 NF4 mobo/Xeon2 Case/Ultra-XInfinity500w
eVGA 7800GTX @495/1330 (o/c) 3Dmark05: [8717] 3Dmark06: [4163]
Logitech Z2300 2.1 & SB X-Fi Xtreme Music/Games: Oblivion, HL2, FEAR, Far Cry

3 Posts

March 27th, 2006 20:00

to clarify my statement which read "Problem exists with either dvi cable or analog" means that I've tried with both cables.  Each one results in the same video/picture problems.  If it's your opinion that the video card is faulty, that's the kind of feedback I'm after. Otherwise if there's anything I'm not doing that I could be doing to repair the problem, I'm welcome to those suggestions as well.

I fear that I'll have a heck of a time getting a replacement video card from dell without shipping my entire system back to them.  We'll see...

601 Posts

March 27th, 2006 22:00

At this point try to swap out the video card with dell. It recently sounds like Dell has shipped many systems with faulty cards, ranges from 7900gt to one like yours.

28 Posts

April 1st, 2006 23:00

Whoa Whoa!!! 2700$ and you have a geforce 6800??? where did the rest of the money go towards?? but from my experience This is a great idea.....Go to best buy....Buy Any cheap Video card put it in your computer see if the problem still occurs... After your done checking you can just return it after a couple of days... Use it as if it was a test card! :smileywink:
No Events found!