Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 27th, 2001 17:00

On or Off? Whats best?

I have the Dimension 8100. Should I leave it on or shut down everytime I'm finished. I noticed that it shuts down automatically after a certain amount of time. When i hit the power button it returns to windows, without rebooting.

501 Posts

January 27th, 2001 17:00

DrGJacob,
Assuming you have a reliable power supply, and I understand that the 8100 has a 330w, I think that it is just a matter of personal preference similar to whether the toilet paper rolls away from the wall or toward the wall. I have done both at various times without problem. HTH

Sorry, your browser doesn't support Java(tm).

11 Posts

January 27th, 2001 18:00

Single ply offers less resistance than two ply. Therefore, single ply-to the wall, two ply away from the wall.

I agree with Chris and Mr Cat. What I meant in my original post was that I have only one on-off cycle per day.

Preston

I dis~agree Cj the roll must roll too the wall there by stoping the reistince in pulling it in to.
But I do agree that the amount of time the unit is to be used control's: to leave it on or off.......M.C.....

Michigan Cat

54 Posts

DrGJacob wrote:

I have the Dimension 8100. Should I leave it on or shut down everytime I'm finished. I noticed that it shuts down automatically after a certain amount of time. When i hit the power button it returns to windows, without rebooting.

I suspect he didn't shut it down properly. TP has more uses than just using it to stuff the inside of the case so as to dampen the noise. If he uses it to finish his shutdown properly, he should have no further problems.

11 Posts

I turn mine off-saves electricity and prevents toilet paper, I'm sorry, power management woes.

Preston

54 Posts

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Good one Preston.

111 Posts

January 27th, 2001 19:00

I disagree with all,the toliet paper should not be on the roll,there for the cat can not roll it from heck to breakfast and unrolling it onto the bathroom floor! it should be on the back of the toilet where its rested comfortably.
on the shut down issue I believe it should be shut down at the end of the day if you use it off and on thru out the day ,and leave if off if you do not use it like me at the end of a fine day!

125 Posts

January 27th, 2001 21:00

frequent on/off will not harm the system. that might have been a concern years ago but no longer. it's now mainly an energy conservation issue and it's a personal preference. i personally turn my off if i'm gonna be away for an hour or more. hibernation might reduce the power draw but hundreds of thousands of comps hibernating really add up. if u elect to keep it o, and ur using a cable modem, at least release ur ip to minimize hacking potentials.

2.1K Posts

And where exactly do we stand on the position of toilet seat lid????

“Thousands of computers on hibernate really add up” – Give me a break!

Whichever one you choose, your PC will be as obsolete as a 286 before long term damage will show up.

5.8K Posts

I personally manually configure the lid in the "always up" position, so as to save wear and tear on the hinges...HTH

125 Posts

January 27th, 2001 22:00

for those who don't think leaving the computer on can cause a strain on our power system, try this article.

11 Posts

January 27th, 2001 22:00

Joe Wrote: "I personally manually configure the lid in the "always up" position, so as to save wear and tear on the hinges...HTH"

Yeah, and that way Joe can also check to see if someone shrinkwrapped the porceline! ;-)

January 28th, 2001 01:00

Jim wrote: And where exactly do we stand on the position of the toilet seat?

Why "UP" of course this way you can tell when it needs cleaning. And by haveing the t/p roll faceing the wall there is allways ampel paper hanging to do a quick clean up. While Mrs.Cat may have a diffrent oppion on this mater! she don't haft to lay down on the floor to replace it due to unnessary ware, from the up~down action.........Mc.....

Michigan Cat

11 Posts

January 28th, 2001 02:00

Jim wrote: And where exactly do we stand on the position of the toilet seat?

Hopefully in front of you!

Mc Wrote:"...she don't haft to lay down on the floor to replace it due to unnessary ware, from the up~down action"

Mc-I don't know what to say! This is a classic!!

501 Posts

January 28th, 2001 13:00

joe53 wrote:"I personally manually configure the lid in the "always up" position, so as to save wear and tear on the hinges...HTH"

In a household with two 90+ lb. Golden Retrievers, it is unwise to leave the lid in the up position for reasons I'll leave to your own imagination.

For all you history buffs out there here's an ARTICLE that you should find interesting.

No Events found!