Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2016 06:00

OptiPlex 3040 micro DP not working when two displays connected

Hi

I have a brand new Dell OptiPlex 3040. Whenn I connect two monitors only one is detected (the one plugged in at the HDMI port). I can't get the display port working.

Is there any solution?

Environment: Win 10 64 bit, graphic drivers are up to date, so is the BIOS.

Thanks

• 

17K Posts

November 16th, 2016 09:00

Josibu,

Many users have reported that HDMI is buggy in Windows 10.

Below is information to that may help.

Set your secondary display
If you’re using HDMI to connect a second display try setting it over at NVIDIA Control Panel, or if you use AMD graphics use its control Panel instead. The process is the same for both cards.

Open Nvidia Control Panel.
Go to Set up multiple displays.
If your HDMI connected display isn’t showing try checking and unchecking the other ones on the list.
This sounds like an obscure solution, but some users have reported that it has helped them to enable their HDMI display.

If that does not work for you try installing the Windows 7 video card driver in compatibility mode. Below are instructions for installing the driver in compatibility mode.

Install drivers in compatibility mode
Windows 10 still has compatibility issues with drivers, so sometimes it’s best that you install them in compatibility mode.

Right click the driver setup file and choose Properties.
Then go to Compatibility tab.
Check Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows 7 from the list.
Click Apply and OK.
Run the setup file.

6 Posts

November 17th, 2016 07:00

Hi Jesse

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately your advice did not help. I completely uninstalled the driver currently installed and installed the new driver with the compatibility set to Windows 7 -> no difference.

My OptiPlex 3040 came with the Intle On board 530 and it seems like the only port working is the HDMI. No matter which monitor is connected to the DP it does not work (can't see it on windows at all).

6 Posts

Hi

No. The only grapics card is the Intel HD Graphics 530. The only OS ever installed on this PC is Windows 10.

• 

17K Posts

Josibu,

Do you have the optional video card as in the system? If so, when you upgraded to Window 10 and installed the drivers for the video card you would first need to install the Intel graphics driver first, followed by the  AMD graphics driver. Let me know if this is the issue.

• 

17K Posts

November 17th, 2016 10:00

Josibu,

Click the linkl below for information changing the settings for dual monitors in Windows 10.

How to Setup Multiple Monitors in Windows 10

6 Posts

November 17th, 2016 23:00

Hi

Unfortunately this link does not make any sense. It is being redirected to http://www.dell.com/en-us/

• 

17K Posts

November 18th, 2016 06:00

Josibu,

My apologies for the wrong link. I have added the correct link in the post.. Thank you for letting me know.

6 Posts

November 18th, 2016 07:00

Thanks, I've looked at the article but no matter what I try to do the display connected to the DP is not being detected neither in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel nor in the windows Display Settings.

Any other suggestions?

• 

17K Posts

November 18th, 2016 08:00

Josibu,

Try the steps below.

* Turn off the computer and both monitors

* Disconnect both monitors cabling (DP, HDMI, USB) from the computer

* Reconnect only ONE monitor to the computer DP out port and retest

Computer DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> Monitor DP in port

-or-

Computer DP out port --> DP to mDP cable --> Monitor mDP in port

6 Posts

November 19th, 2016 23:00

I had another 3040 here around. I checked that one and everything worked for it. So I just changed the hard drive and am now using the other one with my original hard drive and everything works.

Anyways, Thank  you very much for your help

No Events found!