Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2015 16:00

OptiPlex 7020 MT Video/Power Upgrades

I recently acquired a Dell OptiPlex 7020 MT through work for a good price and the option to use payroll deduction to spread out the cost. Let me start by saying that I realize this is really meant for the office and not for home/gaming purposes. However, having the i7, 16 GB of RAM, etc. makes it tempting just to do a little bit of gaming at home. However, I've been rather underwhelmed by the AMD R5 240's performance.

I've been looking at what my options are for upgrading, and I'm left with a couple of questions.

- The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti seems like a good card to go for. Not too expensive at $100-150 and there's low power consumption at around 55-60 watts (up from the 50 watts that the R5 240 supposedly uses). However, most pages I can find for this card recommend a minimum of a 300 watt power supply, while the 7020 comes with a 290 watt (80 plus bronze) power supply. It seems like it would be pushing it to try to make it work anyways. On the other hand, it doesn't seem like much more power usage than the current video card. There's the argument that I'll never hit 100% power utilization on all of the components in the system (and you'd hope that there would be extra power capacity for an additional hard drive, etc.), but I don't like taking that gamble. There's also the issue of BIOS compatibility, etc. that I've heard others complain about with third-party video cards. Has anyone had success with a GTX 750 Ti or even just the plain GTX 750 with 2 GBs of RAM in an OptiPlex 7020 MT with the stock power supply?

- The next upgrade to look into logically is the power supply. Dell chooses this exact same video card, the GTX 750 Ti, for the higher end of their XPS line of desktops, though they are nice enough to include a 460 watt power supply for that configuration. I know previous models of the OptiPlex and Precision machines that I've worked with have been using standard ATX connections for a while now. Suffice it to say that I am VERY disappointed that Dell has gone to using a proprietary 8-pin connector from the power supply on the 7020, reminding me of older models that used to try the same thing. I checked and even our 7010's have the regular ATX power connections. So disappointed! This will likely be the last Dell I buy for awhile if they keep that kind of stuff up. Nevertheless, I'm pretty much stuck with this purchase until I pay it off, so I'd like to figure some kind of solution out. Are there any options for upgrading the power supply in the OptiPlex 7020 MT, even if it means changing pins in the connectors or getting a higher capacity power supply from a different Dell model that uses the same connection with the motherboard?

Again, I realize this is meant to be an office machine and not a home/gaming machine. I'm trying to make it something it isn't really intended to do. I also realize this is a fairly new model, hence the lack of good information out there for what people have and haven't tried with it yet. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated! I also hope this helps prevent anyone else from making the mistake I did by thinking they could buy this machine and easily upgrade the video card/power supply afterwards. Finally, please let me know if additional information is needed.

Travis

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

January 16th, 2015 06:00

I cannot find any Forum users who have upgraded the Optiplex 7020 power supply. I would take the entire tower to a local shop and have them attempt to install several 450w-500w power supplies until they find one that works. Then you could upgrade to the PCIe x16 GeForce GTX 750 Ti.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 17th, 2015 06:00

Newer Dells even with 305W power supplies have 20 to 25W on the +5VSB.

This means you must use an EPS 12V 2.92 certified supply because ATX even version 2.4 only requires 10W on the +5VSB

Minimum Recommended Upgrade for A Dell Tower is CORSAIR CS750M.

550W is too small.  Generic 550W power supplys are NOT AS GOOD as the Dell 305W power supply.

The EPS12V spec 2.92 guarantees 170w combined on the 5V/3.3V rails and 20W on the 5VSB as well as 45 amps on a Single 12V rail.

Note on the Label for the Dell that they provide 20W on the 5VSB.

If you add up all the currents its more than 305W but Dell does not overstate the total output of the supply.

5V @ 22A = 110W

5VSB @ 4A = 20W

3.3V @ 17A = 56.1 W

12V @ 36A = 432 W

-12 @ 1A = 12W

630.1 W Total on 305W power supply.

80 percent of 750 = 600W

80 percent of 550 = 440W

This means that 550W supplies for some dell models will not even turn on the machine due to lack of power in specific areas.

And no supply is 100 percent efficient.

This is why I recommend an EPS12v  Corsair CS750M

DELL's 525W power supply Guarantees 150W on the 3.3v and 5v Rails. But also again Rates the 5VSB at 20W.

You Need an EPS12V 2.92 certified Power Supply

Dell supply's have 20 to 25W on +5VSB and most cheapo units have 10W or less.   Dell Supply's guaranteed 130 to 180W on 3.3v/5v rail and Others do not.

Minimum recommended unit is CORSAIR CS750M.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/425477/CS_Series_CS750M_750_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Modular-Efficient-CS750M/dp/B00GH9NA0A

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cs-series-modular-cs750m-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

5 Posts

January 17th, 2015 10:00

Thanks for the info. Good stuff. I was, in fact, already looking at the Corsair CS series. However, I was looking at the 450 watt model. Will consider going higher now after researching this more. One limiting factor I have to keep in mind is the size and shape. It has to clear the custom mounting bracket in the back.

The biggest problem, which has yet to be addressed, is that Dell is now using a proprietary 8-pin connector. There is no standard ATX power connector on the motherboard. There's the proprietary 8-pin plug, 4-pin plug for CPU power, and another plug to feed SATA drives. There's only two cables coming out of the power supply for CPU and motherboard. Not sure I have many options for power supply upgrades at this point.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2015 09:00

For those that are curious, here's more info about the L290EM-01, the 290W power supply included with the 7020 MT. There are no 5V or 3.3V rails, only 12V! They apparently do the rest on the motherboard. Here's what I get from the label and calculations to match what SpeedStep provided above:

+12VA @ 14A = 168W

+12VB @ 16A = 192W

+12VSB @ 1.67A = 20.04W

380.04W on 290W power supply.

80 percent of 380.04W = 304.032W

One idea I've come up with is to try to get a Precision T1700 power supply, which would get me up to 365W and still use the same 8-pin connector that I'm forced to use (along with fitting in case, etc.) Any thoughts on this? Not even sure where to go about finding one and would prefer to avoid random sellers on eBay, etc.

11 Posts

April 1st, 2015 13:00

We just received several of these 7020's at work.

Due to our requirements on several computers, we utilize  passive "USB-to-CAT6 extenders". The PC's are located quite a ways away from the actual keyboard/mouse/LCD. Long story short, the "standard" dell power supplies could never supply the power needed to drive these extenders. What ended up happening with dell power supplies was that the USB devices became erratic in their behavior.

The fix: With previous dell models,like the optiplex 780's, 790's and 7010's I would just install a COTS 500-watt or higher Power supply and we would be good to go.

With this new bastardized 8-pin power supply, it looks like we'll have to find a different model of Dell. Something that uses a normal ATX format power supply.

Or else go to a different PC maker.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2015 15:00

Since this thread got brought back to life, figured I'd post an update. I ended up getting the GTX 750 Ti (from EVGA). It works great. No issues so far, with BIOS compatibility or with power draw. I've run benchmarks, burn-in tools, etc. Most power I've seen pulled (according to UPS software) is 120 watts. With the Haswell and Maxwell chips, this is a surprisingly efficient little system!

1 Message

June 24th, 2015 16:00

So the GTX 750 worked without the 6 pin connector and with the stock 290W power supply?

5 Posts

June 25th, 2015 11:00

So the GTX 750 worked without the 6 pin connector and with the stock 290W power supply?

Correct. I've been using the EVGA GTX 750 Ti with the stock Dell/Delta power supply without any problems for several months now. This is the base model Ti variant, not the overclocked version with extra fans, etc. Those require more power and, thus, a separate power connector. Also note that the 300W power requirement listed on the box/web site is for an older Core i7 system that uses more power (pre-Haswell).
It handles pretty much every game I throw at it without any issues. Sure, I can't use the highest settings for the more demanding games, but I generally get current gen console-equivalent quality/performance. Witcher 3 plays with high settings at 900p capped at a solid 30 fps, similar to Xbox One. I have a few games that run with all settings cranked up at 1080p. Note that I've also switched out the hard drive for a 1 TB SSD, so that's helped as well.

February 2nd, 2016 13:00

Twalls would it be possible for you to contact me off of here?  I have literally the same problem you had right now.  dcrosb2@clemson.edu

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 4th, 2016 09:00

We just received several of these 7020's at work.

Due to our requirements on several computers, we utilize  passive "USB-to-CAT6 extenders". The PC's are located quite a ways away from the actual keyboard/mouse/LCD. Long story short, the "standard" dell power supplies could never supply the power needed to drive these extenders. What ended up happening with dell power supplies was that the USB devices became erratic in their behavior.

The fix: With previous dell models,like the optiplex 780's, 790's and 7010's I would just install a COTS 500-watt or higher Power supply and we would be good to go.

With this new bastardized 8-pin power supply, it looks like we'll have to find a different model of Dell. Something that uses a normal ATX format power supply.

Or else go to a different PC maker.

MODDIY makes an adapter for 3020/7020/T1700 to convert the 24 pin to 8 pin dell.

The 4 pin ATX motherboard connector is the same as a standard power supply.

IF you have a MINI TOWER that can use a standard case size for the power supply you can use a MODDIY adapter.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/425477/CS_Series_CS750M_750_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Modular-Efficient-CS750M/dp/B00GH9NA0A

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cs-series-modular-cs750m-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

It would appear that there is a solution.

Dell OptiPlex 3020 PSU Main Power 24-Pin to 8-Pin Adapter Cable 30cm

Suitable for Dell OptiPlex 3020 / 7020 / 9020 / T1700

3   Black = Ground                   (Same as 24 pin)
2  White = 12 volt                     (Same as 24 pin)
1 Green = Power On                (Same as 24 pin)
1  Gray = Power Good              (Same as 24 pin)
1  PURPLE = 12 Volt Standby  (Taken from Molex)

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

February 4th, 2016 10:00

Hands down the best reply to any post on the internet I've ever received.  Thank you so much!  I will try the convertor.

No Events found!