Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2015 08:00

OptiPlex 960 with uninstalled drivers listed under Other Devices

Can you point me to where I can find drivers for the following:

PCI Serial Port    Bus 0, Device 3, Function 3.

PCI Simple Communication Controller   Bus 0, Device 3. Function 0.

Unknown  Bus 4, Device 0, Function 1.

The operating System is Windows 7, 64bit.

I'm also looking for an update for the video driver. Currently, it is listed as:

Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset(Microsoft Corp WDDM 1.1)

It is dated 5/6/2009  version 8.15.10.1749

I tried R279356.exe, but executing it I got a pop-up that said my computer didn't meet the requirements

for this driver.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 10th, 2015 14:00

Manually set a system restore point, to be safe, and then install:

Intel ME5 Host Embedded Controller Interface Driver

Intel Serial Over LAN/Local Management Service Driver

Intel AMT SOL/LMS Driver

They should take care of the serial port issue.

You should have a PCI-e x16 slot for a half-height video card. So look around for one that has the capabilities you want at a price that's acceptable. Make sure it's compatible with Win 7, 64-bit, and has the right video outputs for whatever monitor you're using.

8 Posts

October 10th, 2015 16:00

It worked. Thanks again.

Not being familiar with the specs on the Intel Q45/Q35 Express Chipset, I'm having a hard time determining what would be a worthwhile step up.

By the way, my OptiPlex is the mini tower, not the SFF or desktop, so I could accommodate a full height card. It's the length that is problematic since it conflicts with the CPU cooler arrangement.

I bought this computer used, and probably won't spend much more than $20 or so for a card. I see lots of PCIe cards for well below that on ebay, but, without knowing which card represents a meaningful step up, it'll take a while for me to research. I don't need a gamer's card, just one that can display video on a 42" Samsung plasma.

Thank you for your kind help and attention.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 9th, 2015 16:00

Install Intel Chipset Driver for Win 7, 64-bit and OptiPlex 960, and then install Intel AMT HECI Chipset Driver. Reboot when done and check Device Manager again.

R279356.exe is a 32-bit Intel Graphics Controller Driver, but you need a 64-bit driver.

8 Posts

October 10th, 2015 09:00

Hi, Thanks for the response. The PCI Simple Comm Controller is now taken care of. The PCI Serial Port and the Unknown items are still listed without drivers. 

I'm pretty sure the Unknown is associated with my Creative Labs Audigy card as I've seen this before.

Installing the video driver upped my Windows Experience Index from 3.5 to 3.6-the 3D business and gaming graphics being the lowest subscore. The other graphics score was, and still is 4.4. I would consider this a success. Thanks!

I plan to use this computer to watch DVD movies and videos. Do you think it's worth looking for a dedicated video card? I own a Radeon HD4670 with 1 gig of video ram. Sadly, it is a double wide card with the fan/heatsink assembly preventing an installation. The black plastic housing around the CPU fan/heatsink of the Optiplex are in the way.

My other WEI scores are 6.4(CPU), 6.7(RAM) and 5.9(HD)

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 10th, 2015 19:00

It worked. Thanks again.

Not being familiar with the specs on the Intel Q45/Q35 Express Chipset, I'm having a hard time determining what would be a worthwhile step up.

By the way, my OptiPlex is the mini tower, not the SFF or desktop, so I could accommodate a full height card. It's the length that is problematic since it conflicts with the CPU cooler arrangement.

I bought this computer used, and probably won't spend much more than $20 or so for a card. I see lots of PCIe cards for well below that on ebay, but, without knowing which card represents a meaningful step up, it'll take a while for me to research. I don't need a gamer's card, just one that can display video on a 42" Samsung plasma.

Thank you for your kind help and attention.

Don't know why your last post doesn't appear...

Glad all the drivers are installed now.

The chipset shouldn't matter. Newer PCI-e cards should be backward compatible with earlier PCI-e versions. So check the specs on whatever you buy. You can probably find the chipset specs over at the Intel Ark site.

You only have onboard VGA and DisplayPort video outputs. So unless your TV supports one of those directly, you'll need either a DP>HDMI converter or an add-in video card. Those converters run ~$10-$20. Look for one that supports the resolution of your TV and doesn't need any drivers installed.

Dell sold this model with either ATI Radeon HD3450 256M or ATI Radeon HD3470 256M, so maybe you can look at those, at least for their specs.

8 Posts

October 11th, 2015 11:00

The Samsung plasma has HDMI and the D-sub input capability. I have plenty of cables, including a DVI to HDMI one.

Both cards that you mention look like very good alternatives to the on board chipset. Best of all, there appears to be quite a number of them available for well under $10 on ebay.

I found a website that benchmarks video cards, and the Q45/Q43 chipset comes in with a score of 68.

To put it in perspective, today's gamer cards that cost $500 and more score around 10,000.

I have a pretty good card- a Radeon HD4890 that scores 1527. It's about 6 years old, and still holds its own. It sits in my main computer, but requires a power supply of at least 450 watts. I imagine the newer ones are even more demanding.

The HD3450 and 70 score 124 and 149 respectively. Not bad, considering what they cost-used.

I will probably end up getting one of them. My biggest concern is size and the location of the heat sink or fan assembly.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 11th, 2015 18:00

My biggest concern is size and the location of the heat sink or fan assembly.

Since Dell sold those AMD cards with this system, they should fit, assuming somebody hasn't installed a larger after-market heat sink and fan assembly.

If you buy used, be sure to purchase from a reputable vendor with at least some kind of warranty that the card actually works.

Post back and let us know how it turns out.

No Events found!