Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2016 04:00

OptiPlex 960sff , 8gb ram issues

Morning ,

I have a 960sff , quad , with windows 7 pro ,  recently it started restarting randomly , no bsod , but sometimes up tp 20 times a day , as you can image this was pretty annoying to say the least. By a process of  elimination I have tracked it down to having 8gb ram installed . Whenever the unit has 8gb ram fitted then random restarts will occur , sometimes more frequently . I am running the unit at 6gb atm - with the 6gb it doesn't matter which of the 4 strips I use or where I put them it is stable , however as soon as I install the 4th strip within a short while a restart will occur , totally puzzled by this , all the strips are Micron and  are as it came from Dell when new , could this be a software issue ?

thanks in advance for any pointers

1 Rookie

• 

87 Posts

October 29th, 2016 22:00

Hi, I'm pretty sure its your power supply - I've had a couple of Optiplex 960 SFF fail despite the power test button showing green (ok). They both rebooted randomly.

One also had the same memory symptom making it 'look' like the cause - but its not that, its the PSU fault showing itself as repeated tripping due to the extra load. I confirmed by swapping in a Optiplex 780 power supply (its the same spec) and that cured it. I think the 960 SFF may have had a factory PSU issue and I now avoid these completely.

August 17th, 2016 18:00

Hi Saintetienne

Thanks for writing to us.

When did the issue start?

Was there any hardware or software changes done recently?

Please update the BIOS and observe for any changes.

Do you mean you have 4 x 2gb Chips and it works fine on 6gb, but the moment you add the fourth one the problem starts??

Sounds more of a software conflict.

If the issue started recently you can try doing a system restore and observe before updating the BIOS.

Do provide us your system tag#, email address and name via private message,by clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message

Regards

August 18th, 2016 01:00

Hi ,

The issues randomly started , nothing heavy had been changed software or hardware , the unit has been running A18 bios for sometime now.

To give an update on Monday evening the 16/8 , I took the unit apart removed and re-seated all the RAM  (4 x2gb) very carefully , I have run the unit since then and even used a "heavy load" memory test program and I am pleased to say that at this time I have only experienced 2  restarts - so I am hopeful that I have cured the issues ,

thanks  for the response ,

regards

Steve

August 18th, 2016 19:00

Hi Do observe the machine for another day and keep us posted how it goes.

August 19th, 2016 20:00

Hi Do give us a shout should you have any questions in future.

August 20th, 2016 02:00

Morning ,

an update ,

When I checked ram I also checked and re seated all connections in unit , several days down  the line and the unit has been worked hard with only a few restarts ,  looks like things are heading in the right direction , I will update ,

thanks again

August 21st, 2016 09:00

Well ,

how typical is this , today unit has been plagued with restarts , nothing has been changed , yet unit has restarted approx. 10 times in an hour , can't establish any pattern to this at all .  atm  I have removed the 4th strip of ram ( I removed and swapped it with the 1st strip)  and I am running 3 x 2gb - which seems to be totally stable , never had anything last this and I am baffled .

any input gratefully received

August 21st, 2016 20:00

Hi Did the machine come with 8gb memory from factory or have you upgraded it from your end?

All memory modules and all slots looks to be fine.

Also take out the CMOS battery, leave it out for 30 secs and then put it back. observe for any changes.

Manual can be found on support.euro.dell.com

August 22nd, 2016 01:00

hi .

yes it came with 8gb   (59KHUX4J)  , slots and modules all prefect , last night did another full pre boot diagnostic with all module installed and passed every test , I have tried cmos reset , but will try again ,

thanks

August 22nd, 2016 01:00

Forgot to say , is there any software I can use to get info about what the restart was caused by as there is no bsod ?

thanks

August 29th, 2016 12:00

Update - this has been running with 6gb  ram  ( 3 x2 gb )   doesn't matter where the strip is removed from or which strip -  but restart problems do not occur , have you any more info for me on this  ? as it appears that many Dell owners have the random restart issue

thanks

October 28th, 2016 08:00

Any thoughts on this anyone ?

I am surprised that no one else had this same issue

I am mostly using with 6gb , tried 8gb again this week with random restarts again

not life threatening , but still bugging me ?

October 30th, 2016 02:00

Morning PowerPodge , I think you are definitely on to something with what you say , I can force the unit to restart by using hungry programs like windows assessment tool and I was thinking it could be a temperature related issue , but what you say does make sense , I will see if I can get another PSU to test ,

thanks for the input

November 16th, 2016 09:00

update , another power supply installed and running rock steady !

many thanks

No Events found!