Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2014 13:00

OptiPlex 980 Doesn't Boot

I recently bought a new graphics card for a desktop I had been wanting to use. I tried to start it for the first time in a while, but whenever I try, it beeps twice and displays nothing. It is clearly running, but no with no display or response. Not sure if it matters (I'm pretty pitiful in regards to computers) but the 1, 2, and 3 lights on the front are the only ones lit up.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 15th, 2014 14:00

Remove the new card and try to boot. If it works the card is incompatible. The computer might need a bigger power supply to run the new card.

Always mention the model computer and operating system in the body of the post when posting. Optiplex models have very low powered psu's usually below 300w. That will not run the newer model video cards.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2014 22:00

Sorry, I failed to specify the problem. I haven't actually put the new card in, I was going to start the computer to remove drivers that were already there, but it will not start. It is currently running windows 7.

I was on the hunt for the best way to increase wattage, but that won't be necessary if I'm too dumb to start it.

No Events found!