Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2014 21:00

OptiPlex GX 280 Shuts down during startup

(System belongs to an older lady) GX 280 freezes moments after the Dell Splash screen comes on. Error message "Previous shutdown due to thermal event". Press F1 to continue Selecting any option and system immediately shuts off. I have removed and reseated all drives, memory, and cards. I have removed the cmos and restarted. Case is clean and very little dust. All fans are working although the main fan has run at full speed but that has not happened today. I do know the onboard video went out and this is why she called me for help. After I installed an new video card for her the video worked again but this is when I came across these other issues. On startup the power light comes on, there are 2 beeps. Hard drive light comes on then off until the system 'continues' or you press F1, then blinks once and system shuts down. The diagnostic lights on back. After flashing various combinations they end up G-G-G-Y. Then when you press F1 they are G-G-G-G. then when you start normally The system shuts down and all lights go off. Hopefully someone has an answer. I am trying to keep this lady from having to get a new system.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 30th, 2014 10:00

The motherboard caps are bad and hard drive is likely bad due to age.

There isn't any fix for this. The recall of these systems ended in 2008.

Nobody on earth covers computers forever and hard drives come with 3 to 5 year warranty retail.  Its now 6 years past Jan 2008.

Dell OptiPlex SX270 / GX270 / GX280

Dell previously provided out of warranty coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008.

None of these Systems are covered Under any Warranty now.

The motherboard replacement program WAS valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)"

2 Posts

July 1st, 2014 17:00

Thank you. Unfortunately that was my thought also.
No Events found!