Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2015 07:00

Optiplex 3020 bios A06, Locked out, No boot from USB?

I was in BIOS trying to figure out why I can't boot from a usb thumb drive. F2 to Settings - Then I started messing around in Security which allows me to set and Admin password and or both a System password: I set an Admin password then rebooted and was no longer allowed - no matter what combination of passwords I used - back into my user account. I am now stuck inside the first door looking at a locked door. So I rebooted into BIOS - SETTINGS - SECURITY  and removed said password (the field reads: NOT SET). Rebooting back to the welcome screen and tried every combination of my user password, my old user password, and the admin password that I had just removed to no good conclusion.

I am baffled, frustrated and banging my head on the table.

These following words are the human instruction set in bios about setting the Admin and or System password:

"This field lets you set, change, or delete the Administrator (Admin) password (sometimes called the the "setup" password). The admin password enables several security features when set, it:

* Restricts changes to the settings in Setup.

*Restricts the boot devices listed in the F12 Boot Menu to those enabled in the "Boot Sequence" field.

*Substitutes for the system password if the system prompts for a password during power on.

Successful changes to this password take effect immediately.

NOTE: If you delete the admin password, the system password, if set, is also deleted. Also, the admin password can be used to delete the HDD password. For this reason, you cannot set an admin password if a system password or HDD password is already set. The admin password must be set first if an admin password is used with a system password and /or HDD password.

///

I have removed the Administrator password that I set in bios. Restarting the computer (what Dell calls a "warm reboot" does not help. After typing all of this, I am now wondering if the system needs to be shut down completely to allow whatever needs to happen in order for me to get back into my computer. Oh, and by the way I have checked and re-checked all of the settings and still cannot boot from the USB. The USB Thumb Drive is running this Dell laptop that I'm typing this on. Linux Lite

4 Posts

May 30th, 2015 10:00

Reboot and all is well - except that I still cannot boot from the USB. I have three other machines that will boot from USB. There has to be a simple answer to this frustrating problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2015 11:00

According to the manual for the 3020 mini-tower, there's an option in BIOS setup to enable booting from USB. So you have to enable that and save the change and exit BIOS.

After it boots to the desktop, shut down normally. When the system has powered off completely, connect the USB stick, power on and press F12. You should see the USB drive as a boot option that you can select.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2015 11:00

One more thing... On some systems front USB ports may not be active until after Windows loads. So you may need to connect the USB drive to a rear port -or use a USB extension cable from a rear port and put the other end on your desk so you can easily connect / disconnect a bootable USB drive.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2015 18:00

Hey thanks for responding!

I've tried each of the suggestions you made and wow is this a mystery or what? Set for legacy boot order is usb, cd optical drive hdd. I haven't plugged the usb thumb drive into every slot but front and back has been tried and I know it boots because I have a Latitude D830 that boots from it.

And I just found what looks like the genuine Dell site A07 uploaded Mar 2015 Which claims there is a USB update fix but does not mention anything about booting although it does say urgent. I'm a little nervous having never updated a firmware before. I really can't afford bricking this at the moment. The file is O3020A07.exe so do I just double click on it or is there a procedure? I know this is getting away from the issue of booting via USB but maybe not?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 30th, 2015 19:00

Regii-

Let's back up a nanosec... Are you posting with different 2 user names here?? I see 2 different users posting in this thread and one of them in that other one. If so why..??

• Do you have a 3020 or a 3020M ? And is it a mini-tower or small form factor?
  • What version of BIOS is running now?
  • What happens when you try to boot from USB? Freezes or just boots from hard drive..?
  • Did you try connecting the USB stick with power off and using the F12 menu to select the boot drive instead of expecting it to use the boot sequence set in BIOS?
  • Is the USB stick listed as a boot option on the F12 menu, even if it won't boot from it?
  • Is Advanced Boot Option in BIOS set to enabled?
  • Is Secure Boot enabled or disabled in BIOS? Try setting to disabled.
  • Is this a USB 2 or USB 3 stick?
  • Have you tried using a different bootable USB stick? Maybe there's something "odd" about this one that the system doesn't like?
  • What bootable OS is on the USB stick? (And why are you booting from USB?)
  • The A07 BIOS update for the 3020 mentions fixing issues booting when a specific USB keypad is connected. That doesn't sound like your problem so leave that alone for now.

No Events found!