Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2015 06:00

Optiplex 3020 doesn't start up with VGA splitter

Hello all,

I have a weird issue of an Optiplex 3020 not booting if I have a VGA splitter connected with both displays. If I force the power off and unplug one cable it will boot up and I can reconnect the cable. I have switched out everything except the computer itself, so I'm wondering if this is an issue with the model, this specific computer, or maybe something in the BIOS I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 15th, 2015 14:00

3020 or 3020M ?

Be more specific than "not booting"...

What version of Windows?

If there's the option for Secure Boot in BIOS setup, try disabling it. Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Be sure to save the change when exiting setup.

3 Posts

September 16th, 2015 06:00

It's just a 3020.

With the VGA splitter plugged in with both the projector and monitor plugged in the computer will power on with the fans on, but there is no video signal as if it doesn't even POST. It will stay on but doesn't even get to Windows as I can't ping it. If I unplug one cable or the other with the connected one still in the splitter it will boot up fine and I can reconnect the other display.

I have gone through the BIOS settings, we have secure boot off so we can boot to SCCM. I disabled any sleep options I found, set the display device instead of leaving it on Auto. Not sure what else is in BIOS that would be affected by this.

I also tried a different 3020 plugged in the same location and got the same result. I've switched out every cable but it still won't boot with both plugged in.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 16th, 2015 12:00

Do you have the latest version of BIOS, latest chipset drivers, and latest video drivers for whatever version of Windows you're running?

No Events found!