Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

September 9th, 2013 20:00

Optiplex 320 processor upgrade

I would like to upgrade my optiplex 320 pentium 4 to a dual core processor and am looking to find out what my options are?  So far it looks like I may be limited to the Pentium D 900 series?  Can anyone shed some light on this?  Will I also need a new heatsink or can I use the old one?  Thanks!

1.5K Posts

September 10th, 2013 04:00

Hi cvanscott,

Dell Optiplex 320 was shipped with following processors configuration:

• Intel Pentium 4 (Prescott and Cedar Mill)
  • Intel Celeron
  • Intel Pentium D 850 (Prescott)
  • Intel Pentium D 9xx (Presler)

Make sure that the BIOS is updated to the latest version. Below are the few that are tested by Dell:

• Intel Pentium D 800MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2x2MB L2 cache, and EIST (900 series)
  • Intel Pentium D 800MHz FSB Socket T with Dual Core technology XD, EM64T, 2x1MB L2 cache (800 series)
  • Intel Pentium 4 800MHz FSB Socket T with HT, XD, EM64T, and 2MB L2 cache (600 series)
  • Intel Pentium 4 800MHz FSB Socket T with HT, XD, EM64T, and 1MB L2 cache (500 series)
  • Intel Celeron D 533 MHz FSB Socket T with XD and EM64T (300 series)

You may use the old heat sink if that is working fine, else you will need to replace it.

Dell does not recommend or offer processor upgrade but it is as your discretion in case you really wish to go ahead with it. Warranty per say, issues arising due to the upgrade will not be covered under warranty , however we will continue providing support for other issues and parts.

Hope this helps. please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!