Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2015 09:00

Optiplex 7010SF Originally internet cable connection require to convert to Wireless option

I have purchased a wireless card EMEA Dell Wireless 1530 -

1 Where does the card plug-in

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 15th, 2015 11:00

Here's the manual for the 7010SF. It has instructions for installing an internal WLAN card.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2015 15:00

Greatly appreciate your response and I have filed the manual for future reference. However the pictured card is 5 x larger than the recommended one.

I attach a photo  with an internal photo and one including the new mini card

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 15th, 2015 16:00

According to the manual, the SF version doesn't accept a Mini PCI Express card.  Only the Ultra Small Form accepts a Mini PCI Express card.

Your photos show a different slot arrangement than the manual shows for the SF motherboard layout on page 33. In fact, your photo looks like layout for the 7010 Mini-Tower!!

And the WLAN card goes in the PCI-e x1 slot in the Mini-Tower which is above the battery in your photos. So if you got a Mini PCI Express card, there's no slot for it in the Mini-tower.

Guess you'll have to return this card, assuming you can, and get a PCI-e x1 card.  It doesn't have to be Dell's card. You can probably get any reliable brand card as long as it has drivers that support whatever version of Windows you use and it's compatible with whatever version of WiFi is supported by your router, eg 802.11 'n' or 802.11 'ac'.

Maybe you should just consider getting a USB WiFi dongle for the right versions of Windows and WiFi and plug it into an external USB port so you don't have to mess around inside the case...just a thought....

No Events found!