Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 2nd, 2006 15:00

Optiplex 745 - Dual Monitor Support

Hi,

I just got a Optiplex 745 (small form). It was advertised on the web site to have dual monitor support. However, I just see one VGA port in the back of the computer and no DVI port. Can you please tell me what to do? Thanks.

3 Posts

October 2nd, 2006 18:00

You need to to obtain a dongle. Depending on the output type of your video connection, it can be DVI to DUAL DVI, or VGA to DUAL VGAor even VGA to DUAL DVI. Im not sure where to get these, but you will need something like this with a single head that supports dual display.

If you right click on your desktop, goto properties, and then click on settings, do you see two screens with one dimmed out?

299 Posts

October 2nd, 2006 18:00

You need a DVI add card to use the second monitor to get a DVI+VGA configuration. Dual DVI isn't supported.

3 Posts

October 4th, 2006 14:00

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I got the cheapest graphics card option by mistake and I've been trying to figure out how to resolve it. I will try to install a better graphics card in the computer. It complicates things a little that it is a small form chassis with low profile expansions slots.

Thanks again,
Bjossi

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 6th, 2006 21:00

Low Profile = Itty Bitty power supply = not really upgradeable.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2006 00:00

I actually got a low-profile graphics card that does support two monitors, so I'm fine now. I wish I had known more about the limitations of the smaller form factor computers when I made the purchase, though.

66 Posts

August 9th, 2007 17:00

I have a similar problem to deal with right now. Desktop 745. User wants two monitors. They wanted me to take the nvideo gforce card he had been using in his tower, I explained that it doesnt fit. (Or would that riser converter help? is it worth getting?) He just needs dual monitor, i think both vga, what's the easiest and/or cheapest way to do this?

66 Posts

August 9th, 2007 17:00

oh yeah, what card did you wind up with?

66 Posts

August 10th, 2007 13:00

Will the SFF dual VGA dongle do the job, if attached to the desktop? Could I just use that?

66 Posts

August 10th, 2007 16:00

All right, I have found this:

JATON Video-208PCI-64Twin GeForce MX4000 64MB 64-bit DDR PCI Low Profile Video Card

I want to put it into an Optiplex 745 Desktop, to enable dual-vga. Please confirm or reject my solution.
No Events found!