Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 18th, 2016 10:00

Optiplex 9020 Power connector pin outs?

I'm trying to repair an Optiplex 9020, the problem was that it wouldn't power on when the power switch was pressed; I first believed that the power supply was bad but since this computer uses a proprietary PSU connector I couldn't test with the PSU tester I have; I bought an adapter that is made by ModD that allows you to use a regular PSU with this computer but after installing it with a working PSU the computer still won't power on. So I'm really left with only two options, either the power switch is bad or the motherboard / cpu. Does anyone have details of the pinout for the 5 pin internal power connector for this unit (the manual only shows the connector and doesn't detail the pinout)? I want to try and manually short the power on pins to see if the unit starts up.

9.4K Posts

December 19th, 2016 10:00

Hi Chris1701,

Thanks for posting.

Since the power supply and the motherboard are both proprietary, there aren't any public facing documents of the pin outs available.  However, there might be some information on the internet that might assist you with your task.  Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 19th, 2016 11:00

Moddiy makes 24 pin to 8 pin adapters.  The 4 pin connector is standard.

https://www.moddiy.com/search.php?search_query=CAB359+&x=37&y=10

12 Posts

December 20th, 2016 16:00

SpeedStep:

I think you misunderstand my question, I said the 5 pin power switch connector. I've got the ModDiy cable and I can't get the system to power on with a known good PSU, so either the switch is bad or the motherboard is toast. But because the internal power switch connector is some 5 pin propriety connector and so far I've tried manually shorting pins on connector header to try and get the system to power up but no luck so either the motherboard is fried or the pins to the switch aren't next to each other.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 20th, 2016 17:00

If you are using moddiy you should be able to paperclip the psu on with the green and 1 black wire.

12 Posts

December 21st, 2016 15:00

Speedstep:

Not the answer to what I asked and also not helpful in any way

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 04:00

The paperclip on the 24 pin turns the power supply on.  Reverse engineering and pinouts are not forthcoming.  Dell doesn't post them.

12 Posts

December 22nd, 2016 06:00

I didn't ask how to turn the PSU on, I suspect either the switch on the case is bad or the motherboard is toast, exactly what I said before; you're answering a question I didn't ask and it's not helpful in any way.

The pins on the motherboard are so tiny for this connector that I can't get my multi tester probe into the connector on the end of the power switch cable; I don't have any wire tiny enough to get in there. I was hoping that someone else had figured this out and posted it.

It ridiculous that Dell makes something like this.

7 Posts

January 14th, 2017 18:00

Chris,

You deserve an ACCURATE and TRUTHFUL Answer to your Query.

Dell designers have traditionally ignored the Intel ATX and Front Panel I/O documents since 1990s.

See Formfactors.org

The Dell 3020/7020/9020 MT models use Proprietary Connectors on its motherboards and supporting parts (Power Supply, Front I/O Panel, Power Switch/LED), as you noted.

The 5-pin (2x3) header (2 mm standard) on this motherboard uses the Dell P/N: 030WGC cable for Power Switch, Power LED, and Diagnostics.  This cable uses a monentary switch and a Multi-colored (white, orange) LED.

Power Switch (momentary) function: Black and Yellow wires.

Power bi-polar LED (White / Orange): Red and Green Wires

This Dell Optiplex 0x20 MiniTower series uses White - Normal and Orange - Sleep or Diagnostic (blinking).

Since this assembly uses a Multi-Colored LED,

I have not yet tested this cable assembly "on the bench" to completely reverse engineer

and determine usage of Orange wire.

gb

No Events found!