Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2015 08:00

Optiplex 9030 AIO will not WOL or power on by physical button (intermittent) 3 amber flashes

We have been running the Optiplex 9010's and 9020's for a few years now and they have been great machines for us. Recently we got a batch of 100 9030's and have deployed them across 8 of our locations. Every night at 9pm we have our power management software shut down all the PCs. With these 9030s we are now seeing an intermittent issue where some of them will go into a state where the power button blinks 3 times in Amber color and the unit will not turn on using the power button or with WOL. The one and only way to get it to come back up is by pulling the power cord for 5+ seconds and plugging it back in.

We have had the motherboard changed on a few of them and that did not resolve the issue either. It also seems to be something that happens later on after the power down has occurred, we can issue the power down a hundred times and it works just fine to power back up, but in the cases where the machine has sat all night is when this happens.  We have installed dedicated UPS's on these to try it also and then also took them off the power management software and then shut them down with a remote batch script (Shutdown -r) and they intermittently do it with that also.

The techs that get dispatched this last round blamed our software, but honestly then why is the 9010's and 9020's still doing this without flaw?  I don't really know where to go from here. All Sleep/Hibernate settings are disabled in the OS and BIOS, all drivers and BIOS are up to date. I wish we just had 9020's at this point cause they all worked flawlessly.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2015 12:00

Yep, I have them all to A07 now and we go through a checklist to make sure all the BIOS settings are the same.

The biggest changes we make is:

Wake on LAN only

Block Sleep - enabled

Deep Sleep - disabled

I agree with the power supply possibility though, I think that would be worth a try for sure.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 27th, 2015 12:00

Do they all have the same version of BIOS? And are all BIOS settings the same?

How many of the 100 have this problem?

If pulling the plug subsequently allows them boot, I wonder if this is a power supply issue..??

I pinged my Dell tech contacts so maybe they have some recommendations...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 27th, 2015 15:00

My Dell contact forwarded your issue to the OptiPlex Quality team. Hopefully, they'll have some ideas and a solution.

I don't work for Dell, so I have no control over when / how they'll respond...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 27th, 2015 19:00

Do all systems have all the latest Dell drivers, Microsoft updates, versions of whatever software is installed, etc?

3 Posts

August 31st, 2015 08:00

Yep, we did Chipset, Network cards, vPro management, BIOS, Video, Audio, Windows updates run the day after Update Tuesday, we have the latest version of Deepfreeze.

I feel like it's a power supply issue. We've had the motherboards on a few changed out, twice in one instance, we've plugged them into APC battery UPS's and still have it, I've left them on all night at the BIOS screen and came in in the morning and they were still on the BIOS screen so there is no power surge.

No Events found!