Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 17th, 2012 09:00

Optiplex 9101 All-in-one with three monitors?

I've got a new Dell Optiplex 9010 AIO. I have the built in monitor good to go, a 2nd monitor via a VGA connection flipped to landscape mode and also working fine.

I've got a HDMI-DVI converter plugged into the HDMI out slot, and plugged into an external IBM monitor. 

My computer can see it. I can extend the desktop between monitors 1 and 3 (as seen in the image) or 1 and 2 (the IBM monitor) but not all three at once.

Dell explicitly states that this computer with the onboard graphics card can support 3 displays (internal+2 external). I've rebooted, reinstalled the Intel video drivers and taken a peek into the BIOS, which didn't reveal anything.

Thoughts? Ideas? I can see the 3rd monitor through win7's control panel, and through the intel display management software. Just can't use all 3 at once.

1.1K Posts

October 17th, 2012 10:00

Hi trollitc,

To enable triple monitors, you can connect them following either of the connections:

1.  Direct Connections: Have direct connections to the screens via 1 x VGA to VGA monitor, 2 x DisplayPort cables to the DisplayPorts on the other capable monitors. Most do not have DisplayPorts.
  2. Adapter Connections: 1 x VGA to VGA Monitor port, 2 x DisplayPort to DVI Active apapters.

For option 2 it is important to ensure your adapters are classified as "Active". Most adapters that you get for DisplayPort to DVI are "Passive" Active means it keeps active the root port type. Passive meas it changes it to the converted port. DisplayPort detects this and will only do dual monitors when a passive adapter is used.

Here is an example of a DisplayPort to DVI Active Adapter:

DISP PT TO DVI SGL-LINK ACTIVE CONVRT

You can also refer to this link: http://dell.to/WnGflF 
It mentions that 3rd generation CPUs natively support 3 displays with the integrated CPU graphics. Three simultaneous display output requires one Display Port with a maximum resolution of 2500x1600 at 60Hz refresh rate and a Display Port and VGA port with max resolutions of 1920x1200 at 60Hz refresh rates.

Please reply in case you have any further questions.

2 Posts

October 17th, 2012 11:00

Thanks Dell-Vikram M, but I don't have an DisplayPort connections. This is the Optiplex 9010 All-In-One. The rear ports consist of one VGA connecter and one HDMI out connector. Here's the description of the ports available from Dell's website:

"4 External USB 3.0 ports (2 side, 2 rear) and 4 External USB 2.0 ports and; 1 RJ-45; 1 VGA; 1 HDMI; 2 PS/2; 1 Line-in (stereo/microphone), 2 Line-out (1 side for headphone/1 rear for speaker)"

So as you can see, there are no DisplayPort connections on this computer. 

Thanks,

Ben

1.1K Posts

October 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the quick response. You would need a HDMI to Display Port adapter if the monitor has a display port. In case the monitor does not have a Display port; purchase an adapter which would have Display port on both the ends and also, purchase a Display port to VGA/HDMI adapter (depending on the port your monitor has):

Below picture shows Display port to HDMI adapter:

Display port to Display port cable:

Display port to VGA Cable:

Please reply in case you have any further questions.

1 Message

January 31st, 2013 06:00

it's amazing to me that you both failed to read and understand what this person was trying to receive help for. try reading and writing instead of reading one key word and pasting an identical generic answer. i'm looking to resolve a similar issue and i imagine this person was 10 times as frustrated as I  was to your absolutely useless responses. I'm surprised because dell technical support is generally good when I contact you, must be different for business users...

4 Posts

April 11th, 2013 06:00

I have to agree with Mrroyal.

I am also tyring to connect 2 external monitors to an Optiplex 9010 All-in-One. One monitor is connected via VGA, the other is connected via HDMI.

When I try to extend the desktop to the 3rd screen, it doens't work. The screen connected to HDMI doensn't light up.

Is it possible to use the integrated screen from the 9010 All-in-One AND two external screens?

1 Message

April 30th, 2013 13:00

I am also suffering from this same issue.

The Dell Optiplex 9010 All-In-One is hooked to two additional monitors: 1 via VGA the other via HDMI.  No adapters or converters being used, these are all 1 to 1 connections.

The display settings dialogue does recognize both monitors, however it seems the system can not run more than 2 monitors at the same time, the other always goes dark.  In fact, I can turn off the integrated display on the 9010 and have the HDMI and VGA monitors active.

Is there a solution to this, or is the Optiplex 9010 AIO just incapable of running 3 displays at the same time?

1 Message

May 13th, 2013 07:00

Having the same problem

VGA and HDMI output only, no displayport

It can see the 3rd monitor, but if you try to activate it, it goes off.

Any ideas?

1 Message

January 22nd, 2014 03:00

My assumption would be that you could use an ACTIVE HDMI to VGA adapter, as found here at £14.99:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00879DM56/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

for the record, I also have a 9010 AIO and am looking into this as an option, if anyone gets this sorted, or has already got this sorted, please let me know!

1 Message

July 18th, 2015 15:00

After talking to Dell reps about this issue and trying many different options myself, I am happy to report that I found the answer! Here it is:

1. Connect VGA from one monitor to VGA slot on Optiplex

2. Connect DVI from the second monitor to HDMI slot on Optiplex

So, the solution is to get a 8' HDMI to DVI Cable for the second monitor.

Unfortunately, the dell reps were not helpful in getting this solution with one rep encouraging me to get a video card to solve the problem. Go to Radio Shack and get the HDMI to DVI cable. Just to be clear, this is for the 9020 AIO--the newer version...although I expect it to work on the 9010 AIO as well.

Best of luck!

David

3 Posts

February 25th, 2016 11:00

I tried this and this option did not work. I know that I am late to the party here but there has to be an answer. I have also tried an HDMI splitter (HDMI to HDMI) and that did not work. I tried an HDMI to VGA adapter and that did not work. I HAVE NOT tried the HDMI to DVI because there is no DVI connection on the OPTIPLEX  and I am already using my one HDMI port on AIO for the other monitor. 

Just to be super clear: 9010 does not have Display ports nor do either of my monitors. 

Maybe this simply CANNOT be done. It is extremely frustrating! I have a sit-to-stand desk that supports dual monitors and of course I CANNOT mount AIO on the monitor VESA mount.  Any help would be appreciated!! 

4 Posts

May 24th, 2016 14:00

STILL HAVING THIS ISSUE....DELL?

Anyone get it working with the 9010 Optiplex All in one?

I have one external VGA monitor connected via VGA to VGA cable (working), and I'm trying to add one more external monitor with a HDMI (Plugged in to Dell Optiplex) to DVI (Plugged in to Dell Monitor) and can't get it to even recognize it.

Was hoping to get some answers before re-installing the graphics driver!! Please Help!

Thank you!

17 Posts

June 13th, 2016 12:00

I have a external monitor hooked up to the HDMI port iusing a "HDMI to DVI" cable on the 9010 AIO. 

This version of the 901AIO has 1HDMI out and 1VGA out. and no other ports besides the USB.

The VGA connections works fine.  The HDMI to DVI cable does not.

The system sees both external monitors, but will only display to one.  Nothing will allow me to use the second external monitor.  Looks like to me this system was never design to drive more then one external monitor.  Time for a different model with different graphic abilities.

Only ran into this problem because user wants to have two extra monitors to run some security video app on the two external monitors.  You get what you pay for.  If you wanted multiple monitors, get a different model from Dell.

4 Posts

June 13th, 2016 12:00

The issue is that Dell advertised this with the capability to do 2 external monitors.... So your point about getting a different model from Dell is frustrating because this was supposed to be that model.

I ordered an active HDMI to DVI cord and will see if that works.

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 14:00

bump

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 14:00

Received the active HDMI to DVI cord, and still doesn't work. Can only have two monitors display at a time... Spoke with intel, they say this chip is capable of 3 monitors, but that Dell may have turned that off??

ANY help, or even someone confirming "This isn't possible" from Dell would be great...

No Events found!