Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2012 17:00

Optiplex 980 - 2nd Monitor/Video card options

Have a Optiplex 980 (tower) with WIN7-64bit installed that currently has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 installed.

- currently have a DVI to VGA adapter attached to the video card, running VGA from the monitor (E2210H) to the adapter.

- Have another E2210H to add to the setup- has DVI and VGA connections, see (I believe) a Display Port connection on the GT 330 as well).

I need to find the best way to add a 2nd monitor and have some questions about this.

- Can a 2nd video card be added for this, there are extra expansion slots available? (I believe I saw another post saying this could not be supported, but maybe that was for ATI products).

- If using the existing card for this ( currently using DVI-to VGA to a Dell E2210H and would be adding a 2nd identical monitor), would there be any potential issues using one monitor on Display Port and another with DVI (Refresh Rates, fuzziness, etc)?

-If using the existing card, what adapters should I be using to get the best video, any specific settings etc? I have a few DP to DVI adapters laying around that came with these monitors.

Thank-you

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

September 28th, 2012 20:00

Hi TechieINkc1,

The OptiPlex 980 has an additional PCI-E x16 slot that is wired as an x4 and hence a a graphics card cannot be connected to it. You can use the DisplayPort to DVI adapter that came with the nVidia GeForce GT 330 card and connect the second E2210H monitor to it. You can use “Windows” + “P” keys for switching between the display modes or use the nVidia Control Panel.

Please reply to this message, if you need further assistance.

12 Posts

October 1st, 2012 12:00

Thank-you for your response, but this doesn't quite answer my question in full. But is using this card (GT-330) with 1 monitor connected to DVI to VGA on monitor, and Monitor 2 connected from DVI to DP connector on the card the best option that I have in both display and performance? Would it be better to switch to a different card that is available for the Optiplex 980? Or would getting a DVI splitter be potentially better than using DVI to one monitor and DP to the other? We are wanting to extend the display and use both monitors at the same time, not switch between them. I should mention that this machine is being primarily used for work in Adobe Premiere for video editing.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 00:00

Hi TechieINkc1,

Thank you for your reply. You can extend the Desktop to both the monitors connected to the nVidia GeForce GT 330 card by connecting the first monitor to DVI port and second to the DisplayPort.  You will receive the same display on both the monitors if you use a DVI splitter.

Please reply to this message if you need further assistance.

23 Posts

November 8th, 2012 16:00

Hmmm, I have two PCIe video cards running in my Optiplex 980. I currently have three monitors connected but have had four at one time. Never experienced any video problems with this setup.

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.        

No Events found!