Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2010 09:00

Optiplex Diagnostic Lights

I am running an optilpex GX620 Small Form. When i tried to power on, power light came on green and diagnostic lights 1,3, and 4 lit up. There is no beep and no splash screen. I have removed all peripheral hardware and tried re seating memory. No progress and now it won't power down when i hold in the power button. Help Please!!!!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 20th, 2010 12:00

As you probably know, 1,3,4 isn't a documented error code.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

But it may be a memory issue.

First thing may be to clear BIOS:

Power off and unplug from the wall

Press/hold power button on tower for ~15 sec

Open the case and remove the motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and see if it boots with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

If that doesn't help, you may want to power off unplug, etc, and remove all RAM modules except for the one in slot 1. Do the "battery thing" and see if it boots with only the one RAM module. Then swap all the other RAM modules, one at a time, into slot 1 to see if you can ID a bum one. Always power off, unplug etc before removing/adding any hardware.

If all modules work in slot 1, start adding back modules to the other slot(s) to see if there's a bum slot (= motherboard failure). :emotion-6:

Ron

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2010 07:00

I appreciate the advice and indeed it is a bad mother board.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2010 12:00

Sorry 'bout that...

Check Ascendtech and Centrix to s ee if either have an OEM motherboard for this system. They're typically less expensive than ordering from Dell. There are others who sell OEM Dell parts too, and there's aways e-Bay.

Ron

No Events found!