Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 19th, 2007 07:00

Optiplex GX270 Thermal Problem (Flashing Yellow Light)

Hi guys, I recently bought a Radeon 9250 for my dell optiplex gx270 and it was working fine once i got it installed but earlier my computer shut down complaining of thermal problems, and im assuming its something to do with my new graphics card because i've not had this issue before, the problem is when my computer lid is shut my computer won't load up, it attempts to power up but then the light on the front just flashes yellow.. If the case is open then everything works fine, not a problem, just when its shut i have issues.. anybody know what the problem could be..

25 Posts

October 19th, 2007 15:00

you would think this is sounding like a thermal issue (and it may have been), but you might want to look at the capaciters surrounding/near the CPU. Check to see if they are leaking or mushrooming/bulging.
GX270's had issues with these caps. ( a couple other models, too)

1 Message

October 20th, 2007 15:00

You should do a search on the intrusion switch, this needs to be reset after the case has been opened.

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 17:00

sorry to hear you feel this way joeyoung25.

the capacitor issue was an industry-wide issue, not just Dell. I had read reports that IBM got hit really bad with this as well as Compaq & HP. The capacitor was supplied to most OEM's. Dell's affected system count was pretty low, considering. I was able to get mine replaced under warranty - I did a batch reporting of them (even if some 'seemed' OK at the time - about 40 systems).

Not only do I dislike the capacitor problems but mostly the Proprietary parts that Dell uses, and If i would build a computer identical to a Dell (which I have done in the Past) the computer that I built was not only cheaper but faster, and didnt come with extra (junk) software that is unecessary. I also get more choice in expandability like more than just 2 sata ports.

I agree that the issue is more than likely the capacitors issue. If you know how to solder you can buy new capacitors for less then 20$ and replace all 9 of them along the side of the CPU and any others that are bulging or leaking. If you are going to replace one though you should replace all or none. I have done this myself and it seems to have cured the same problem as what you have. I didnt install any hardware though it just started doing it. The computer would shut down on its own and sometimes shut down saying it was cause by a thermal event. Dell is not that great as I have seen this almost half of our 50 PCs here. I think well go with custom build from now on.
No Events found!