Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

June 12th, 2012 16:00

Optiplex GX520 wont post blinking cursor

Forum:

Im trying to repair my freinds daughters Optiplex GX520 which boots but will not post all i see is a blinking cursor @ posting. After removing the Cmos i did get two errors:

1. Fan failure ( fan is working )

2. Battery low ( Replaced new battery )

I tried to set the boot sequence to cd and upgade to win7 but the test monitor is a crt which went to hash when it tried to launch the application not sure if it is a monitor limitation issue....We also Reseated memory modules as well.

After returning everything to normal ,however we still get the blinking light cursor but desktop will not post at all..... It is running Bios A11

Any feedback is welcome and again thanks in advance.....

14.4K Posts

June 12th, 2012 16:00

The machine is posting if it goes past the Dell splash screen. It would appear that there is either a windows issue or a harddrive issue.  Since I do feel the system posts try running the Dell diagnostics. When you see the Dell splash screen tap the F12 key to access the menu. Chose the diagnostics option and run the full set.

7 Posts

June 13th, 2012 05:00

Davet50:

Thanks for getting back to me:

I only get two options :

1. HD diagnostics

2. Boot to partion  ( not available)

I did run the diagnostics for the HD and it passed so the HD is ok, however it will not get passed the post blank screen. Is there any diagnosic tool that i can try to run for this specific model?

Thanks again Davet50

E

7 Posts

June 13th, 2012 10:00

Davet50:

I have run the dell diagnostic cd and all checks seem to come back as passes except the HD confidence test which was not checked off not sure if this is normal.

Thanks again

E

7 Posts

June 14th, 2012 08:00

Forum:

We tried to upgrade to win7 64 to try to correct issues with xp and although it did load but would not lauch windows. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

E

No Events found!