Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2016 14:00

Optiplex GX620 Boot Failure

Hello everyone,

I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 that I haven't booted up in a few years.

This was due to a RAM failure that I revisited last night. (Beep code 1-3-2)

I've resolved the issue by rotating the position of the old RAM card to the secondary slot, and a new card in the primary slot.

That being resolved, I've run across another problem. MyPC starts up to a black screen with a blinking cursor. There's no startup or Dell logo. No beep code or errors.

Is this caused by a Bios error? If so, why was this not resolved with the new battery placed in the motherboard today?

If not, any other ideas? I've tried many harddrives, including S ATA wired, all of which ARE intact and function perfectly.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or solutions,

Jeff.

1.2K Posts

February 9th, 2016 03:00

Good day Jeff,

Thank you for writing to us!

Based on the information we see that this system is fails to POST. On the basis of beep codes or errors we could conclude the faulty component but then now since you have mentioned that either of them are not heard or seen we would request you to perform few more troubleshooting steps too know the result.

*Turn off the system and then remove the memory modules,graphic card and the hard drive from the system. Then try to turn on the system without these 3 components. If any beeps or indicator lights are seen then make a note of them.

*Then try to power on the system by placing back one of these components back. In the process if any error codes or beeps are heard then accordingly we can conclude the faulty component.

*If no beeps or error codes are heard then its a systemboard failure.

Do reply to this post along with the result of the test and service tag of the system sent via private message so that we can assist you further.

Hoping this helps! 

Regards,

February 9th, 2016 08:00

Hello Jennifer,

I've tried the method you described. I get the original 1-3-2 beep code when the memory is removed, but when replaced I receive no error codes or indications of any kind. With video returned, Ireturn the the black screen with a cursor. Only now I occasionally see lots of blinking colored boxes and symbols. Sometimes they take up the screen, sometimes just the lower half.

Luckily, I had the PC running once last night, the POST went well, BIOS were accessible, and my operating system from my SATA HDD loaded fine.

My issue resumed after I moved my PC to another room to access the internet.

I reseated all of my cables, retried a BIOS reset via battery removal, and nothing. Blinking cursor, occassional colors.

Reseating my CPU seems to lessen, worsen, and remove the colors. (Luck of the draw, style.)

I'm contemplating replacing my CPU and/or my motherboard itself.

Thank you again,

Jeff.

1.2K Posts

February 10th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

CPU'S are complex component's and we wouldn't recommend replacing them and it also voids the warranty on the system. Do forward the system tag via private message so that I can check the details and assist you further.

Regards,

February 10th, 2016 09:00

With all due respect,

I haven't had a warranty on this Dell in [the] years [that I've owned it]. I will gladly private message the Service Tag as soon as I get a chance.

In the mean-time, I have three of the exact same CPUs laying in wait that could easily replace the old one.

I respectfully disagree - they are only complex to those who haven't had the experience of creating one.

Thanks again

Jeff.

Edited for accuracy.

1.2K Posts

February 11th, 2016 11:00

Hi Jeff,

Considering the warranty conditions we wouldn't recommend it to customers as it voids the situation, but then this situation is different. We will wait for you to send the service tag of the system.

Regards,

No Events found!