Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2008 12:00

Partitioning Hard drive

Can a hard drive be partitioned without losing data on it or will everythig be lost?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 9th, 2008 13:00

STGCMTED

Only if you use a non destructive partition manager similar to Disk Director Suite 10.0 HERE

Bev.

308 Posts

December 18th, 2008 14:00

Will the 14 day free trial period version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 permit you to do this?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2008 17:00

STGCMTED

Yes, but having never used the trial version of Acronis Disk Director, I cannot be certain, if there are any restrictions in the trial version.

You may find a better answer by contacting Acronis, or browsing their website.

Bev.

4.6K Posts

December 19th, 2008 12:00

What OS are you using, because Vista already offers hard drive partitioning (etc) in Disk Management :emotion-55:

Either click Start --> Computer --> Manage, or right-click on My Computer --> Manage. 

Click on 'Disk Management' (under 'Storage'), and you'll see all your drives in the dual-pane window on the right.

Right-click on the drive you want to partition in the lower window, and you'll be presented with a list of options - including 'Shrink Volume'.

Once you've set C:\ to the desired size, you'll see new options when you right-click on the (now) free drive space :emotion-5:

I'd advise completing one option though, before continuing with others - i.e. resize the primary partition (C:\), then reboot the system, before doing anything with the free space.

It helps minimize the chances of anything 'untoward' happening during the resizing process :emotion-55:

If you'd prefer to use third-party software - which usually offer a number of additional useful features, EASEUS Partition Manager Home Edition is one of a few FREE programs, but it's one which I know works under Vista as well :emotion-21:

No Events found!