Highlighted
Not applicable

Pixel Shader

I have bought the Sims 3. I then found out my destop is totally unsuitable to play the game. I am in the process of purchasing a new desktop. I think  theInspiron™ 545 MT(D004502) has everything for the game. However I am totally new to the lingo used in the System Requirements. Does this desktop have 128MB video card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0? I am literally repeating what's on the box so I don't have a clue what it means really. Please reply all help is appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Pixel Shader

What's your current PC? Perhaps a simple upgrade would suffice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Hi AeryFaery,

The Pixel Shader is a hardware function of 3D graphics cards which was gone through a large number of iterations over the last few years. The easiest way of dealing with this is to find the associated version of DirectX that is supported by the graphic card/chip. Have a look at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shader

For Sims 3, any graphics card that supports DirectX9 or higher will support Pixel Shader 2.0. The game is not very graphics intensive, so you don't need anything fancy. The Intel GMA 3100 graphics chipset on the motherboard IS DirectX9 compatibile so it should be fine.

But, as someone has already pointed out, if the only thing holding you back is the graphics. A low cost (<$50) graphics card upgrade may be all that you need.

Masi_GC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Well I'm not exactly sure what model of desktop I have but it says on it Dimension 3100.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

You could update to one of these for a modest price.

0 Kudos