Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

January 31st, 2006 11:00

Playing mp3 wma files sound is interrupted

(Dell Dimension 5000 / sound Card SoundBlaster Audigy 2 / Window XP)

Hello,

When I play certain mp3 and wma files the sound is interrupted for 3/5 seconds. This happens when I play the files from the hard disk or from a CD.

I don't find the same problem when I play mp3 files I have created myself with windows Media Player.

I have uninstalled WMP 10 and reinstalled. I have checked the files on another PC and no problem. I have played the files on my PC with other players (Real Player, Winamp, ) and the problem remains.

Task Manager shows a greater CPU utilization when Windows Media Player stops playing the files.

I have disabled Virus Scan and a small improvement was observed.

I have made dxdiag test to check DirectX and all was OK.

Creative sound tests were also OK.

I wonder if there is some settings to check before upgrading drivers (which ones?) or uninstalling the sound card.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sandel

Brussels

5 Posts

February 1st, 2006 14:00

First guess is that you need more memory.  The interruption is more of the file being buffered.  Try closing all open programs even your antivirus.  Then play the same file again.  If the interruption does not occur or doesn't occur as often, you probably need more memory. 

4 Posts

February 2nd, 2006 13:00

Thanks for your answers.

I have played a little with volume controls: lowered Master Volume and Master Wav volume.

This workaround seems to work but the question remains why?

I did appreciate the time you have spent answering to my question

SANDEL

Brussels

No Events found!