Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2009 08:00

Power Supply Dimension 8400

How do you get an Antec "True 550" to work on a Dimension 8400 ?  I'm thinking of trying an auxiliary iniating voltage (startup) to solve?  I've heard that sometimes other power supplies don't work (Dell making you buy theirs)   I did try resetting Bios (cmos).  Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.

JC

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 9th, 2009 11:00

I have an Antec Tru Power Trio 550 watt installed in my Dimension E510.  Works and fits perfectly.  The 8400 uses a standard ATX type power supply and the Antec should work with out problems.  You should have two connections to the motherboard from the Power supply - the main 24 pin (20 plus 4) connector and a 4 pin molex for CPU power.  The other connects are to the hard drive, optical drives and a PCIe power connection for PCIe Video Card that requres that.  Make sure you have to connector from the front panel fully plugged into the motherboard. 

BTW, this is the AUIDO section of the forum. You question belongs in the General Hardware section.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2009 16:00

Is there a way of testing power supply without the tester? (start voltage fed into leads that go to on/off button??) 

Anxious to find out but can wait for tester through internet  (local folks do not carry these) I gather there only $ 20.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2009 16:00

Thank you for responding.  I will redo, and if no luck, I will have power supply tested.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 10th, 2009 17:00

A comment on power supply testers.  They will test the supply for voltages but they don't test the power supply under load.  Thus it can test good but when it's put under "load" (connected to the PC) it could be bad. 

No Events found!