Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2011 14:00

Precision 490 Doesn't Always Turn On

Precision 490, XP Pro SP3

Sorry for the repost, the old one went unreplied and I now have more complete details.

In the morning the pc doesn't always turn on. PC starts booting, but then shuts off. Also, a few times while working windows goes into hybernation.

Amber Light is Solid
HD LED is on
1 & 2 LED Blink

Unplugging the power cord for 30 seconds or so seems work most of the time. Also, sometimes unplugging the USB devices fixes it.

The box is currently connected to a different mouse, keyboard, monitor and UPS, so that is not the issue. Also, I've connected the mouse and keyboard to the front USB ports with the same result. I've looked closely at all of the usb ports and they all look fine - no bent pins, etc.

Is it definately the power supply? A new 750w power supply is not cheap and I want to be as sure as possible. Plus, a replacement motherboard would be even more expensive with the added complication of having software licensed to the MAC address.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 21:00

billutbwgcp,

Solid Amber = Second state of the LED at power up. Indicates the POWER_GOOD signal is active and it is probable that the power supply is fine.

1 & 2 Blinking = System Board Regulator Failure. A power failure has been detected in one of the onboard system board regulators. This could be caused by a failed systemboard component or by a plug-in device creating a short on a regulated power rail.

1 Message

January 8th, 2014 04:00

I am having the same problem.

When all the ram is stripped out, amber start, 1 & 2 blinking.

When I put 4 x 1gb ram in, it won't even get that farshutting down immediately

Any help appreciated

Al

No Events found!