Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2014 06:00

Precision 490 problem - two beeps and no video output

Hi everyone,

My Precision 490 won't boot or show any display. It just gives two short beeps and the numbers 1, 2 and 3 light up on the front. Does anyone know what this means? I've tried it with several graphics cards and still get the same result. Even removing the graphics card altogether has the same result.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2 Posts

April 7th, 2015 08:00

I am not sure if you got your problem fixed or not. I had the same situation: Dell 490, 2 beeps with LEDs 1,2,3 on but no video during boot. The problem was eventually nailed to the graphic card. I had a spare 490 which was working fine, so I swapped each component one-by-one to find the problem. It is not memory or power supply as suggested by others.

The 490 service manual was not helpful in decoding the symptoms.

Interestingly, a few days ago I connected the 490 to a brand new monitor, not sure if it has anything to do with it, giving that 490 is pretty old now. Just FYI.

2 Posts

April 7th, 2015 09:00

I am not sure if you got your problem fixed or not. I had the same situation: Dell 490, 2 beeps with LEDs 1,2,3 on but no video during boot. The problem was eventually nailed to the graphic card. I had a spare 490 which was working fine, so I swapped each component one-by-one to find the problem. It is not memory or power supply as suggested by others.

The 490 service manual was not helpful in decoding the symptoms.

Interestingly, a few days ago I connected the 490 to a brand new monitor, not sure if it has anything to do with it, giving that 490 is pretty old now. Just FYI.

No Events found!