Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2010 06:00

Precision T5400 Multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported in 64-bit Vista / Windows 7

Dear all

My Precision T5400 cannot run 64-bit Vista/Windows 7 when a second processor is installed.  I have a blue screen saying Multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported.  This is the configuration of my Precision T5400:

First Processor: Intel Xeon E5420, stepping C0

Second Processor: Intel Xeon E5420, stepping E0

BIOS version: A05

Main board revision: A00

There is no problem when either processor is installed.  The problem existed when both processors were installed even I tried to put (stepping E0) on  CPU_0 and (stepping C0) on CPU_1.

I cannot install 64-bit Windows 7.  The blue screen showed up after loading Windows files.

I can complete the Vista 64-bit (Dell original DVD) installation.  However, when I install service pack 1, the same blue screen show up after restart.

I also tried the patch from Microsoft (KB973879) but the situation is the same.

I find the problem only occurs in 64-bit Vista / Windows 7.  I have no problem to install and run XP 64-bit and 32-bit XP / Vista / Windows 7.

Do you have any clue?  Is it possible for Dell to allow disable of some processor features in the BIOS so that they are 100% identical to the OS.  According to Intel, stepping E0 has less feature than C0.  I believe this is why Windows considers the processors are not identical though they are in the same family, model, clock speed, FSB and cache.

Thank you very much for your help.

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2011 10:00

I have a t5400 that I bought a second processor for through Dell which had a stepping mismatch. I had the same issue. I resolved it by removing the second processor. Installing windows 7 64 professional with all the updates. Opening msconfig. On the boot tab, you'll have an entry for windows 7 which is marked with (Default OS or Current OS). Single Click on it to highlight it then click advanced options button, putting a check in the processor check box and changing it to 2 from the drop down menu. Shutdown and install the second processor. When your done windows 7 64 should boot up. It worked for me!

9.3K Posts

January 5th, 2010 09:00

Which version of Windows are you trying to install?

With Windows desktop OSes only the business or higher versions support dual processor. So for XP you need XP Pro (I'm not sure if XP Media Center will accept dual processor; it's marketed as a home OS, but has several features that the Pro version has (e.g. user-based file sharing)), for Vista you need Business or Ultimate, and for Windows 7 you need Pro or Ultimate.

2 Posts

January 6th, 2010 01:00

Hi Dev Mgr

I had tried XP Professional 32 and 64, Vista Business 32 and 64, Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and 64.  Both versions of XP Professional work fine in my dual processor configuration; only the 64-bit of Vista Business and 7 Ultimate cannot be run.

Thank you.

1 Message

January 11th, 2010 10:00

I've got the same issue (with 2008 server SP2). It seems this issue is due to microcode or stepping differences between the CPUs even though use of CPUs with different microcode/stepping should be supported as long as they have the same specs otherwise (see this thread http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/thread/5c2f8f77-e014-4ced-9b47-320b77a19f8b/). If you take the 2nd processor out it should work (Win7/2008 x64).

It looks like this issue is generally resolved by applying a system BIOS update (provided by DELL in our case). I'm at A05 (the most recent for the T5400), anyone know if there's anyway of finding out if this will be addressed in an upcoming update? Until then we'll be stuck running one CPU (or an older OS).

1 Message

April 13th, 2010 07:00

Dell just released a new BIOS A06 dated March 2010 and it still does not fix the problem. 

3 Posts

October 8th, 2010 16:00

We are running Windows 7 Enterprise and it seems to work with two quad core Xeon processors.

6 Posts

April 4th, 2011 14:00

MADCOW9597:

I have a t5400 with two same processor "xeon E5450(but with differental step, one processor is "A", the other one is "6". this is the major reason which cause window 7 64 bit can't been install). I have tried what you did, and I can repeat your case. But the issue is that You only can get 2 core running(even less than one process case). In order to get 8 core run, you need go back to msconfig again to un-check processor box as intel suggested. But once you un-check the box, window will ask you to restart the computer, again you will get the blue-screen.

2 Posts

April 4th, 2011 15:00

That check box refers to physical hardware. You only have 2 processors physically in your system. The cores makes no difference. I leave mine at 2 and my system performs beautifully.

6 Posts

April 4th, 2011 15:00

MADCOW9597,

How many core does you processor have? Have you test your computer?

I have windows xp 64 bit, I use window task manager to check, I got 8 cores are running, and the same machine, if I install window 7 32 bit, and I watch task manager, I still can see 8 cores are running. In window 7 32 bit case, I use "msconfig" to check. I found the processor box is un-checked. I have a program which can load 8 core, the xp 64 bit is much faster than window 7 64 bit(I believe it has only 2 core running although there are two processor and 8 core present in this system).

April 9th, 2011 06:00

For what it's worth, a T5400 can run dual quad X5460 processors and have all 8 cores running on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.  I have that configuation myself.  Fastest computer I have ever used.

-Noel

6 Posts

April 9th, 2011 09:00

Noel,

My case is a little bit different. one of my cpu come from dell, the other one I bought from market, although both cpu is same. but there is still a parameter difference. The parameter is called "step", If I use program-accessories-system tool-system information. one processor shows" EM64T Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel~2993Mhz", the other processor shows"EM64T Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel~2993Mhz"

Could please check your cpus are exactly same or different. If your case is same as mine, my will upgrade my window7x64 professional to Ultimate.

Thanks!

April 9th, 2011 10:00

Hi Tianyun,

Mine are both identical, Stepping: 6.

-Noel

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 9th, 2011 13:00

Multi processors must be Matched pairs.

You cant have mixed steppings etc.

1 Message

April 12th, 2011 16:00

I may have found the solution...  at least it worked for me.

I have a T5400 with 2xE5405 quad core processors (stepping A & 6) running VMWare ESX 4.0 with several VM's and have been getting the same error when trying to configure a 64-bit Windows 7 or Server 2008R2 guest maching with 2 processors.

I had 22GB of RAM and was wanting to increase performance so I looked at the memory config and the Dell site and found this link:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  

Here, it describes that the memory must be installed in pairs and for maximum performance, installed in banks of 4.  I looked at my memory config and found that in dimm slots 1-4 (white) I have all 4GB dimms.  In slots 5-6 (black) I had 2GB dimms and in slots 7-8 (black) I had 512MB dimms.

I removed the 2GB and 512MB dimms and saw a performance increase but no luck with the second processor.  Then I bought 2 more 2GB dimms from ebay and put them into slots 5-8 with the 2 that I had already.  Now, I have 24GB of ram configured as 4x4GB dimms in slots 1-4 and 4x2GB dimms in slots 5-8.

Now, ALL of my guest systems have 2 processors and my performance is greatly increased.

April 12th, 2011 16:00

Yes, the system kicks the RAM access up to Quad Channel mode when the sets of 4 DIMMs match.

-Noel

No Events found!