rsd12
2 Bronze

Precision T7400 not recognizing Seagate SAS Hard Drive 4TB

I purchased a Seagate 4TB Barracuda Internal Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5" Form Factor, SATA III 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - ST4000DM000 for my Precision T7400.  On boot it recognizes the disk, but does not give a capacity.  Within Windows, the drive is not listed. However, I am able to view it with Disk Management.  In Disk Management, the drive is unallocated and only reads as 2048.00gb instead of the 4000.00gb.  I have updated my bios and sas drivers in the Dell support section.  Solutions?  Fixes?  Bios setting changes?  Additional Drivers?  Just wasted money on a 4TB hd?   

Thanks everyone!  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mary G
7 Thorium

RE: Precision T7400 not recognizing Seagate SAS Hard Drive 4TB

It has to be formatted to get recognized correctly. What operating system?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
7 Thorium

Do you have it connected to the motherboard or a controller card?  If a card, which one?  If the motherboard, try updating the chipset/AHCI drivers to the latest (may need to get them from Intel if Dell's are not recent).

0 Kudos
Dev Mgr
7 Gold

Did you connect the 4TB drive to one of the SAS ports on the motherboard? If so, that's likely why you can only see the first 2TB.

I have the successor to your T7400; the T7500. This has a SAS6iR card built onto the motherboard. This card (and the bigger brother the PERC6) only supports drives up to 2TB (2048GB to be precise). I can't find it in the T7400 manual, but I suspect it to have either a SAS5 card or SAS6 card on the motherboard.

Your only choice to use the full 4TB is to connect it to one of the SATA ports, but not make it a boot drive (as the T7400 doesn't support UEFI, it can only boot from MBR disks, so it can only use the first 2TB of any given drive).

On my T7500 a 4TB Hitachi drive is working just fine when connected to one of the SATA ports.

If your drive is an actual SAS drive (and therefor won't connect to a SATA port), your only options are to either get a PCIe SAS controller that supports drives larger than 2TB, or replace the drive with a smaller drive (no larger than 2TB). From Dell this would mean any H-series PERC (H200, H310, H700, H710), but there are also many LSI options that will likely work just fine in your T7400.

Member since 2003

0 Kudos
tbui98
2 Bronze

I'm using Seagate 3-3TB (ST3000DM001) and Western Digital 2-3TB (WD30EZRXSP) as secondary drives in my T7400.  I'm running 2008R2 (Win7 equilvalent I think) 64-bit.  For the drives that are plugged in the SAS ports,  I saw exactly what you see-- only 2048GB.  Only the one that plugged into the SATA will let me format with GPT and it sees 3TB (2.7 something).  So, I plug each one into the SATA port, format it, and then put it in the SAS port.  Once formatted, windows seems to see all of them fine (hopefully, I haven't run into any issue yet).  I use a SSD as a boot drive.  Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
tlh129
2 Bronze

I have a T7500. I can't even get mine to see a 2TB Seagate. Can you tell me where you went to get your updates? I was able to reformat the drive in Windows via an external usb/sata device. However, the internal board does not work at all.

0 Kudos
speedstep
8 Krypton

There are INTEL RST and Motherboard Bios Limitations.  WDC handles this with a Highpoint Rocket 620-OEM Series HBA. Larger than 2TB GPT partitions require 64 bit versions of windows. 2TB is the max limit for MBR.

R600 Adapter.pdf

[View:WDC 3TB Installation Video]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115072

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
tlh129
2 Bronze

Thanks SpeedStep. I figured that would definitely be the easiest solution, but it is just frustrating that this otherwise awesome machine can't see a 2TB drive. I  have 192GB RAM installed but it can't see a 2TB drive.  So did you exhaust everything else?

0 Kudos