Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2010 21:00

Problem with CDRW/DVD drive

I have an Inspiron 531S that I bought about 7 months ago. I had no problem with my CD/RW/DVD drive until I installed a new hard drive and had to move the former into a new SATA slot. According to the Dell site, the hard drives have to be on SATA0 and SATA1. The CD/DVD was on SATA1 and I moved it to SATA2. Now my computer won't "see" it. I've downloaded several drivers, because I don't know who the manufacturer is of the drive. I have gotten some information off of it what I can see. I'd like to not have to take out the CD/DVD drive because I'll have to dismantle the fan in order to remove it. :emotion-12:

How can I get a port to "see" a device and how can I find the driver that was initially used with this thing? Sure could use some sage advice.

The new 1.5 TB drive is working great - after 3 hours of trying to remember how to format the thing. College was 8 years ago and I've gotten a little rusty.

Thanks for any help!

Alli

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 25th, 2010 21:00

AllisonM

After connecting the optical drive, did you enter the system setup and check that the SATA2 port is 'enabled' [on] and the CD/DVD drive is recognized in the setup?

Optical drive's drivers don't need to be installed, they are included in windows.

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 26th, 2010 10:00

If the BIOS is not seeing the drive, Windows will not see it.  Also there are no drivers for CD/DVD drives except the default built in Windows drivers. 

Doublecheck the power and data cable connections to the drive and also the data cable at the SATA 2 port on the motherboard.  Reseat (unplug then plug back in ) each cable.   If that doesn't fix it, with the PC powered off, reset the CMOS (BIOS) by removing the CR2032 CMOS backup battery for about 10 minutes. Reinstall the battery observing the correct battery polarity then power on and see if the BIOS now recognizes the drive.

2 Posts

June 26th, 2010 10:00

Hi, Bev! Thanks for answering! I enter the system setup, but the SATA2 port is off and it's not recognizing the CD/DVD at all. I'm trying to figure out how to turn that SATA2 port on.

Alli

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 26th, 2010 13:00

Hi, Bev! Thanks for answering! I enter the system setup, but the SATA2 port is off and it's not recognizing the CD/DVD at all. I'm trying to figure out how to turn that SATA2 port on.

Alli

AllisonM

Enter Setup > Advanced > Integrated peripherals.

System Setup

Bev.

No Events found!