Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2009 10:00

Problem with screen appearance

Help needed.  First I had a blank screen on booting up with the monitor plugged into the DVI port.  I thought the pc may be overheating so I've got rid of as much dust as I could from inside the pc and card fan(it was filthy).  I've reinstalled the graphics driver after using Driver Sweeper and put on the ATI Catalyst downloaded driver.  Now the DVI monitor works but doesn't display the DEll logo on start up. It eventually displays the Windows screen but solid colour areas are broken up into good stripes and bad stripes, containing little stripey rectangles (does that make sense?).  When the monitor is plugged into the VGA port, the screen appearance is the same but the Dell logo does appear on start up.

Do I need a new graphics card? Can something else that works the display have been affected? This is seriously affecting my husbands gaming pleasure. 

XPS Gen 4 with Radeon ATI X800 XT graphics card; Windows XP Prof

3 Posts

August 20th, 2009 17:00

Solved. Thanx 2 Dell Tech Support and lots of searching on forum.  Artifacting was the problem and fans full of dust. Bought new graphics card (via Dell Upgrade, cos I'm no expert and the pc is getting old).  New GeForce 9600GT seems to work fine, after a bit of difficulty fitting such an enormous beast into such a small place.  I used Add/Remove to get rid of all the old ATI drivers, followed by Driver Sweeper, as recommended on the forum. Display flickered on and off a few times, but after 4-5 hrs gaming it seems settled.

I'll investigate Rivatuner, to up the fan speed, based on forum recommendations, and upgrade the RAM but why upset the applecart when my fan is clean and my husband's happy?

No Events found!