Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2013 18:00

Purchased Inspiron 560 minitower 8/11/11 as a backup for future use.

I took it out of the box recently to set it up for future use. During setup I was installing several programs and one required my email address and username 

it kept rejecting my email. Finally I opened note pad and did some test typing. The @ shift 2 is giving me the " quote symbol. I tried 2 more keyboards and it did the same thing???  This is what I get 1st. line w/o shift 2nd w/shift   the bottom is supposed to be ~~

1234567890-=qwertyuiop[]#   asdfghjkl;'zxcvbnm,./

!"£$%^&*()_+QWERTYUIOP{}~ASDFGHJKL:@ZXCVBNM<>?

`¬!

My question can I go to Dell datasafe and reload the operating system to correct it?
Bob Kirby.   [ADMIN NOTE: Email ID removed per TOU policy]

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 6th, 2013 22:00

Please remove your email address. It's a violation of the forum's terms of use to post personal info.

Always include the version of Windows in your posts.

Do you have the keyboard set for the right layout? It sounds like you might have it set for wrong version of English (eg, US vs UK English).

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

July 7th, 2013 00:00

Hi Bob Kirby,

As Ron correctly said, check for the keyboard layout.

Check the Keyboard layout settings, click on the below link to change the keyboard language to English:

http://bit.ly/X4k28X

http://bit.ly/14TEjBk

Change the keyboard layout to English (United states).

Awaiting your response!

24 Posts

July 7th, 2013 01:00

I found it in control panel  changed it to US English under general, language bar and keyboards and languages. Finally got it,Thank You!

24 Posts

July 7th, 2013 01:00

I'm using Windows 7

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 7th, 2013 18:00

:emotion-21:

It seems odd it wasn't already set to English-US. Did you -perhaps- order this system from Dell in some ex-US country or purchase it from a 3rd party in another country?

No Events found!