Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2013 17:00

Question Regarding Replacement Dell XPS 8500

About a month ago, I purchased a very nice Dell XPS 8500. For some reason though, this past month the computer has been falling apart. The hard drive started to make loud clicking noises, and the graphics card failed. After many replacement parts, Dell Support agreed to ship out a replacement XPS 8500. The only problem I have with this is that the support manager said that the computer would be refurbished. I would like to know exactly what this means? Does Dell have high cosmetic standards? I don't mind a few little blemishes. However cracks and noticeable scratches are absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. I would really appreciate any clarification. It would also be nice if a Dell representative took a look at the case pertaining to my replacement. Possibly leaving some notes making sure that I get a nice looking replacement unit.

With Regards.

17 Posts

No, that's not my question. My current computer has serious hardware problems. I can't even use it. I just want to know if the replacement that I will be getting is up to pair with how my Dell XPS 8500 should have been.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Your experience will vary. On occasion, I've seen complaints about decal placement, bezel chips and the like.

I bought two refurbished Dell barebones on eBay four years ago and they had new bezels on used chassis. They were (and are) acceptable to me, but that's just me.

17 Posts

Ok, thanks for the help rdunnill! Hopefully the Dell XPS will look decent.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Is there anything else failing? If cosmetics are an issue, it might be worth it to keep the existing machine. There are only so many parts that can fail, and once they're replaced, long-term stability should result.

No Events found!