Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 21st, 2001 01:00

RE: System Restore

Dell is a lot of help!!!!!!! Can anyone tellme, does the 8100 come with a system restore cd that will essentially dump everything and restore the original settings or do I have to go through reinstalling all the software. I have all the disks except the restore and just wanted to know before I tear my house apart looking for a disc that doesn't exist. I'm real organized as you can tell.

28K Posts

No, Dell does not supply a system restore disk. If your computer is relatively new, however, you might want to try a zztop restore. This uses an image of the original setup that is stored on your hard disk in an unprotected hidden partition. It is designed to last only for a short time, and the image is easily corrupted. Instructions for using this utility can be found at:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=1018875

Be sure to heed the the two "Caution" statements in this doecument.

If this doesn't work because the image is corrupt, your only recourse is to reformat and reinstall Windows and all of the applications.

Steve

165 Posts

Sorry. You type faster than I do.
Lydia

Dimension 4100, Pentium III at 1 GHz
Windows ME
256MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
8x/4x/32x CD-RW
Norton SystemWorks 2001
ZoneAlarm
etc.

165 Posts

Dell doesn't supply a Restore CD per se. Instead Dell supplies a cd with all the Dell-installed programs. You have to re-install the programs individually. (Unless you're using ME and can a system restore from Windows.) Sorry.
HTH.
Lydia

Dimension 4100, Pentium III at 1 GHz
Windows ME
256MB SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
8x/4x/32x CD-RW
Norton SystemWorks 2001
ZoneAlarm
etc.

7 Posts

November 21st, 2001 16:00

Dell thankfully does not provide you with a "restore" disk, just the CD needed to restore the system to a better state than it was when it was shipped. My HP has a system restore disk that rebuilds the system as it was when shipped and no operating system CD for a fresh install, I will say Thank You Dell for not doing that and giving us a CD to build from. If you lost your system, you can try a "repair" from the repair floppies that you made when you got the system and if you didn't make repair floppies then during the install Win2000 will ask you if this is a repair, I assume Win9x,me,xp will do that same, i have never run them, just NT.

I am finding out that I am a odd person, I got my Dell 8200 a week ago and just like every other computer that I have ever bought, I booted it and made sure it ran, shut it down and formatted the drive and re-installed from scratch. I don't want a system that i don't know how to rebuild when something goes wrong, I thought that was pretty standard but I am finding out from reading this forum that it is not.

No Events found!