Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2017 08:00

Recent Problems with 8920 Quality

I have been a Dell user for several years and have been generally happy with the computers.  This week I decided to upgrade with an 8920 that was for sale at Costco.  I purchased one, brought it home, and unpacked it.  The ports for the graphic card were not accessible as the graphic card had been installed at an angle.  I returned it and got another 8920.  After turning it on, the fan came on and was unbelievably loud.  I returned this one and got refunded.  At this point I'm really having some doubts about quality with current Dell products.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2017 10:00

I don't recall others with these types of problems with the 8920.  I would hope these are not the norm.  I've recently bought a Dell Laptop and a Monitor and both are 1st class.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2017 11:00

Unfortunately, things can get shifted during shipping...

As for fan noise, this isn't uncommon on the XPS 8920, especially those with an i7 CPU. The fix is to open the active Windows Power plan and set the max allowed CPU usage to 99%, instead of 100%.  Be sure to save the change to the power plan.  

Note: Some users said they had to go to 95% max, so YRMV.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 23rd, 2017 11:00

And it helps to make sure you have the latest version of BIOS, chipset drivers, and video drivers too.

No Events found!