Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2013 15:00

Recovery partition missing - need for Dell Backup and Recovery

I had major issues with upgrading to 8.1 on my All-in-one Inspiron 2350 system because the video driver apparently wasn't compatible, so it kept crashing my system. After about 6 weeks of support, they finally sent a new hard drive, which was installed by an in home Dell tech...although it didn't seem to be a matching hard drive to the computer I ordered, since it didn't even have the drivers on it for my wireless card.

Luckily I'm not a total computer idiot and was able to get most things running smoothly. However, I keep getting a warning that I need to update Dell Backup and Recovery to work with 8.1, but I can't because there isn't a Recovery partition. I know how to create a partition...my question is how large does it need to be? I don't want to allocate more space than necessary and take it away from my main C: drive.

Then, do I have to name it something specific or will the software recognize it or ask me to select it from a list or something?

Thanks,

Horomnizon

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 1st, 2013 16:00

Hi Horomnizon,

You do not need the recovery partition on your hard drive to update the DBAR application. It is better to backup to DVDs or a flash drive. As you have seen, that recovery partition is of little use should the hard drive fail.

3 Posts

December 1st, 2013 21:00

It won't let me update DBAR without the partition. I just get error messages.  It suggests making a recovery disk after updating, which I will do to a USB drive.

My hard drive didn't fail....the Dell tech screwed it up in trying to install new video drivers and thought it easier to replace the hard drive than to send me a recovery disc to get the OS to boot. It passed all the diagnostics with flying colors.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 16:00

What error messages are you getting?

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 18:00

Well, the first message is from the Program Compatibility Assistant:  This program needs to be reinstalled before working properly on this new version of Windows.  Choices:  Get help online OR Run the program without getting help

Select: Get help online - goes to a web page http://www.dellbackupandrecovery.com/Win81Help/en-us/Index.html

However, that page tells me to open DBAR and click on Update, which I can't do because I get that initial notification.

Select: Run the program without getting help - I get a clock in the middle of my screen that goes around and around and finally a window pops up that says: Corrupted Environment - DBAR has not been able to detect the Recovery Partition on this computer. It may be missing or corrupted. To recover your computer to the original factory state and restore the Recovery Partition, please use your System Recovery Discs. Note: You will not be able to preserve your data with DBAR System Backups until the Recovery Partition is repaired.

Great, so I went in and made a System Recovery Disc....but I don't think it will solve my problem, since coming from the factory it apparently didn't have the partition in the first place. Not to mention, I would prefer to keep all my <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> that's now on this computer and not refresh or reset my computer yet again.

<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 5th, 2013 09:00

Let me see if I can find some help for you.

No Events found!