Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2005 05:00

Solution for all Dimension 4700 Overheating Problems!

Hello all!

I bought Chaintech 6600GT for Dimension 4700, and like many people here was unable to play with side cover on, the computer would overheat and run unstable. I didn't really like to have my case open all the time (it's noisy and dust gets in, all the wires sticking out), so I came up with a solution.

Remove the HDD from it's bracket and remove both HDD mounting brackets. Then take a Floppy mounting bracked, and put a HDD there, and secure it with screws (they will have to be angled, since holes in HDD and Floppy do not align). Install this into Floppy Slot. Then, buy a 92mm case fan, and install it at the bottom, where the HDD mounting brackets were, open the front pannel and secure the fan with screws that came with the it (also possibly have to be angled, since some holes dont align, but i just secured it with 2 screws, and that's enought) make that fan blow the air out of the case. Take the IDE cord and carefully fold it in half (not very tight though) , take PSU wires and arrange them so that they take as little space as possible so not to disrupt the airflow.

The result is going to be that your side pannel woun't even get warm any more, and you can play all games with cover closed.

I hope this helps someone.

Thank you.

43 Posts

January 14th, 2005 21:00

I had a chaintech 6600gt too and i'm giving up on it after a week or so of trying to figure out why i get weird artifacts and stuff when playing gfraphjics intensive games like farcry and half life 2. it tends to overheat and i eblieve it is a flaw with the heatsink and fan placement. so i'm gonna return it back for a replacement...

BTW, i didn't know you can install fans... can you take a picture so i can see?

25 Posts

January 15th, 2005 02:00

no sorry i dont have a camera... well u can install fan there , where your HDD is now, and move hdd to a floppy spot, like in a normal computer

148 Posts

January 17th, 2005 00:00

I like your solution and I would like to try it but how in the heck did you do it?  I had a look and tried but there seem to be screws I can't get at.  What do you have installed in your system for drives?  I have a CDRom on the top, middle slot empty, then a 1.44 floppy.  So I can't just slide out the Hard Drive without removing the 1.44 floppy.  Any suggestions or more indepth instructions in removing HD PLEASE.

Cheers

Can you post temp reductions with this mod?

NEVER MIND ABOUT THE INDEPTH INSTRUCTIONS.  THE DELL MANUAL DOES A NICE JOB.

Message Edited by Hickory Stick on 01-16-2005 08:19 PM

25 Posts

January 17th, 2005 01:00

well now i have idle ambient temp of 35 and GPU core 41 (all celsius)

When playing halflife 2 under full load continiusly for 4 hours, the gpu core doesn't go above 75 (which is normal operating temp for my 6600gt) and ambient goes to about 47 to 50 (i think its actually lower, when you open the case it's not hot at all) , but once game is paused, drops very fast. the side panel remains cold at all times, and before i couldn't even touch it sometimes at the bottom wherve videocard is.

148 Posts

January 17th, 2005 11:00

One more question, the fan the you got what brand is it?  How many CFM (cubic feet per minute) does it push out?  What type of plug four or three pin?

Cheers

25 Posts

January 17th, 2005 13:00

its a coolermaster i belive, or something like that, i dont remember anything else i had throun awaya a package, i think airflow was 40 something )
No Events found!