Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2005 12:00

Sound Blaster Card

On my Dell invoice, the sound card is referred to as "Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital Sound Card." In my computer's Sounds and Device Properties window, it is referred to as "Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)." Is this a 16-bit, or 24-bit, card?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 18th, 2005 21:00

The SB LIVE series is 24 bit cards.
HOWEVER the DELL SBLIVE is not the same as a REAL SBLIVE card.

10 Posts

December 20th, 2005 15:00

How are they different, and why?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 20th, 2005 17:00

Dell uses software DSP, Creative uses Hardware DSP.

Creative supports their cards and DOES NOT SUPPORT Dells cards.

The Link below is where the following info came from.

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_audio&message.id=39953

This post is intended to reduce confusion regarding the Sound Blaster Live! sound card currently shipping within Dell systems. Please read this entire FAQ before contacting Customer Care or Technical Support.

Q: Why does the 0203 designation appear on my invoice, and the card itself is stenciled and labeled 0200?

A: The 3 at the end indicates a very minor electrical or driver change to the card and related software. The silk-screening and sticky label on the card are not changed at this revision level. This is not an indication that you have received a different or imitation sound card than was ordered.

Q: Is the SB0200/0203 really a Creative card?

A: Yes, this is a card manufactured by Creative; however, it is not sold in retail packaging, and is therefore unsupported by Creative.

Q: Why doesn’t the Creative driver package support it?

A: The Creative drivers are not designed to support this OEM version of the Sound Blaster Live!
As noted by Dell Community Forum user pkeyrich, the Creative driver set works with the following chipsets: CT4670, CT4620, M002/M003, CT4780, CT1140, CT4830, CT4832, CT4870, CT4872, CT4831, CT4871, CT4760, CT4850, SB0060, SB0100, SB0102, SB0101, SB0103, SB0105, SB0221, SB0222.

Q: What is OEM?

A: A good definition can be found here via Webopedia. The practice of installing OEM devices within computer systems is an industry-wide practice, and not an attempt by Dell to deceive customers in any way.

Q: What’s different about this SB0200 card than the CT series?

A: The SB0200 uses the EMU10K1X software-accelerated Digital Signal Processor (DSP), whereas the CT series was based on the EMU10K1 hardware-accelerated DSP core. Audio performance may be affected by high loads on the processor more often than with the previous DSP. Also, this OEM version contains the front-panel headphone jack connector, as well as other features required by Dell for use within Dell systems.

Q: If Creative doesn’t support it, why is it called Sound Blaster Live?

A: The Sound Blaster Live! designation is due to the feature set of the card, which includes:

EAX (software accelerated)
5.1 analog channel output
Digital output
Q: Will there be any updated drivers provided by Dell for this card?

A: I do not have that information at this time. For now, the drivers can be found on the Sound Blaster Live! disc included with your system.

Q: This card doesn’t work, or doesn’t perform up to my expectations. Can I get a different card, or a better one?

A: If you are having problems with your card, please ensure that all troubleshooting below has been performed first. If you are still dissatisfied with your audio solution, you may contact Customer Care within 30 days of your original invoice date for a credit return authorization of the card.

Q: Why is the refund amount smaller than I expected and calculated it to be?

A: This is still under investigation. However, it does appear that customers are receiving the appropriate credit for the sound card in question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troubleshooting

If you are experiencing pops, clicks, or stutters within audio programs or games, please perform the following steps:

Reinstall your Sound Blaster Live! audio drivers. The procedure for this can be found here.

Ensure that the game or program you are using has the latest patches installed from the manufacturer, if available. Also, if you are using Windows XP, ensure that the game or program lists specific compatibility with Windows XP.

Use the Microsoft System Configuration Utility to reduce the number of unnecessary programs running in the background. If there are programs running that are suspicious, or you are unsure of their usefulness, try running a spyware-detection software such as AdAware (please note that this software is not specifically recommended or sponsored by Dell in any way).

Before running the game or program, temporarily disable any antivirus software that may be running in the background.

If EAX is enabled within the game that is having a problem, try disabling EAX support within the game.

If the game or program is still experiencing problems, try disabling hardware acceleration for your sound card as follows:

Click Start | Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices.

Click the Audio tab. Under the Sound Playback category, click the Advanced button.

Click the Performance tab. Set Hardware Acceleration to None.

Click OK, then click OK again, and restart the computer.

Try the game or program again.

An operating system reinstallation may help resolve the issue. This procedure varies depending on your hardware and software content. Ensure that any vital programs and data are backed up before attempting a reinstallation.
I hope that this FAQ will assist in resolving the problems that you are having with your Sound Blaster Live! sound card.

Thank you all for your patience; this thread will be updated if any new information becomes available.
Message Edited by DELL-Cody on 07-29-2003 10:45 AM

April 27th, 2006 15:00

Thanks for the info on the Sound Blaster cards. I have both the CT4830 & the SB0200 Sound Blaster Live cards. If I understand you correctly, the CT4830 being hardware accelerated will be a better choice than the SB0200 software accelerated version, correct? Is there anything better about the SB0200 over the CT4830? Thanks for your advise.

299 Posts

April 27th, 2006 18:00

Are you sure ALL SBLive cards are 24-bits?

I was sure my SB0060 is 16-bits.

April 27th, 2006 19:00

Well, I've read this Sound Blaster SB0200 is an unsupported piece of JUNK. A true mistake made by Dell to deceive its buyers into thinking they are getting a true Sound Blaster Card. As I have read, Dell refunded half its cost within the 30 day after purchase period. After that, your just OUT OF LUCK. This card is junk & should have been replaced by something better without cost to the buyer. I will never buy your products again. Remember, trying to save a dime may end up costing you a dollar in the long run.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 29th, 2006 23:00

The General specs on creative site says 64 audio channel playback with independent sample rates 24-bit Analog-to-Digital conversion of analog inputs at 96kHz sample rate 24-bit Digital-to-Analog conversion of digital sources at 96kHz to analog 5.1 speaker output 16-bit and 24-bit recording with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz SPDIF output up to 24-bit resolution at selectable sampling rate of 44.1, 48 or 96kHz So I guess you need to define which bits you are talking about. 24BIT is a LOGO symbol on all the SBLIVE systems I know of. You need to remember that Soundblaster 16 aka 16 bit was around for over 10 years. http://www.soundblaster.com/products/welcome.asp?category=1&subcategory=206

299 Posts

May 2nd, 2006 09:00

Sound Blaster Live! 24-bits            96kHz 24-bits
Sound Blaster Live! 24-bits External   96kHz 24-bits
Sound Blaster Live! Gamer 5.1          48kHz 16-bits
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1                48kHz 16-bits
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Dell           48kHz 16-bits
Live! Platinum 5.1                     48kHz 16-bits
Live Platinum                          48kHz 16-bits
Live!                                  48kHz 16-bits

http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=30,E=0000000000120504280,K=6522,Sxi=0,Case=obj(5805),Kb=ww_english_add,VARSET=ws:http://us.creative.com/

Message Edited by EMT64 on 05-02-200608:42 AM

May 2nd, 2006 14:00

Software enhanced vs hardware inhanced on a sound card is like digital zoom vs  optical zoom on a digital camera. The software enhanced SB0200 is no better than stock motherboard sound. The CT series Sound Blaster cards are true 5.1 surround sound cards. That SB0200 is a piece of junk according to Creative Labs. That is Dell's baby, made by Creative Labs for Dell with Dell's specs. Dell should support it, but chose the blame game instead.

30 Posts

April 4th, 2013 16:00

Here are the drivers for Windows 7 (x32) for the Creative Labs SB0200 sound card.

docs.google.com/.../edit

1) Extract the files from the link above

2) Go to Device Manager

3) Right click on the sound card with missing drivers and select update drivers

4) Find the drivers from the folder named "Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)"

5) As these were built for XP or 2000 you must ignore the warning messages.

6) TADAA!!

One problem is I can't find the driver for the MIDI port or whatever.

Not a problem as I don't need it and no other noticeable harm.

Private Message me if you need help.

tags: Dell Dimension 4600, Windows XP, Windows 7

No Events found!