Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2002 13:00

Sound card for Boston Digital BA735 speakers?

Please recommend a digital sound card (pci) that is compatible with the subject speakers. I have a Precision 220 work station. Thanks in advance.  Fred

October 20th, 2002 05:00

BA735 with the Precision 220? I was under the impression that the BA735 was a Gateway exclusive. In any case you really can't go wrong with either the Sound Blaster Audigy  or Audigy 2 which both provide digital and analog modes.

2 Posts

October 20th, 2002 07:00

Yes the speakers came from a scrapped Gateway.  Thank you very much for your help.  Fred

1 Message

August 13th, 2003 23:00

I have  Windows XP on a Dimension - 
   The Boston Digital Speaker BA735 can run on Sound Blaster Live! Digital Card.
 To configure:
 START - Control Panel - Sound, Speach, Audio Devices - Change Sound Scheme , click Audio
tab then -  Click Volume under Sound playback - click Advanced in Playback Control
(If Advanced button is hidden then click Options - click Advanced Control) - check
Digital Output Only.
    Use digital (yellow) sound output to speakers.

1 Message

October 30th, 2003 09:00

Wow, Thanks for the help!  I just bought a Dell and have the Boston BA735 speakers and was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why there was no sound.  I didn't remember the Boston speakers coming with the old Gateway (junk computer!) but they must have.  They do work with the Dell.  Thanks. 

7 Posts

November 24th, 2003 05:00

Hi, I have a Dell 4500 dimension and am just about to buy these Boston speakers from an ex Gateway person.  I have no sound card but on-board SoundMAX digital audio (or at least it says it is didgital).

Any idea whether they will work on this PC ?

thanks

Chris 

3 Posts

December 29th, 2003 16:00

I have the same speakers and the integrated audio on a new Dell 4600 system.  Can't get the speakers to work and have run all the diagnostics - they are fine.  Do I have to buy/load a sound card?  Can I download one?  If I do, where do I plug the green speaker cable into? There is not an opening in the sound card area on my new Dell.

3 Posts

December 31st, 2003 11:00

My Boston BA735 speakers came with two cords for connecting the subwoofer to the cpu - one digital and one analog as well as two coordinating ports on the subwoofer.  With my old Gateway sytem (these speakers I believe were a proprietary offering through Gateway), I was successfully using the digital cord  - black and green ends.  Then I bought a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP and thought that either the Dell or the XP were at fault for no sound from these really great speakers.  After much head scratching and postings on sites like this, I tried removing the digital cord and plugging in the analog cord (purple and green ends) plugged into the analog port on the sub woofer and the green integrated audio port on the CPU -  the sound about blew me across the room. So now we're rockin' again!

7 Posts

December 31st, 2003 14:00

I bought the Boston BA735 speakers for my Dell Dimension 4500, but neither set of cords worked.  There was no alternative but to add a sound card.  They now work, although I have to say they are reasonable but not as good as all the hype suggests.

Chris

3 Posts

December 31st, 2003 15:00

Chris,

before I changed the cord, I ran the diagnosticCD and then clicked on the audio drive info and unzipped a file then installed Analog Devices 198x Integrated Audio Driver which then installed Sound Max. I really don't know if this unzipping, installing had any effect since I did it before I changed the cord and the diagnostic said the audio driver was detected before I ran the unzip/install for Sound Max.  Just thought I'd mention it for grims in case you thought that made a diff.  Also don't know the diff. in systems between 4500 and 4600 Dell.

7 Posts

January 1st, 2004 07:00

Don't know if I've got a diags disk but I shall have a look around and try it just out of interest.

thanks

Chris

February 27th, 2004 04:00

Hi, I'm having the same problem getting these Bostons to work properly with my Inspiron 8600 notebook running XP. I can just hear them if I hold them up to my ears. I tried the diagnostics disk, but no good. Can anyone help out with a suitable driver or other advice?

many thanks

Max

March 12th, 2004 20:00

I put in a XP Operating System and had a nightmare getting the sound to work.  I finally got a"cab" (driver) from Gateway that gave me sound.  What they sent to me was 7510802.exe.  Gateway said that the driver was not listed as being for XP but that it might work.  It was designed for Windows 9x,Me, NT, and 2000.  It did.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2004 01:00

I, too, am having trouble getting my Boston BA735 speakers to work with my new Dimension 4600.  I have tried to work the solution posted about changing a setting to "digital output only" but don't seem to have a place to do that.  I followed the directions completely but could not find that button.  I also noticed that someone mentioned changing the chords from the digital to the analog.  I only recieved one chord with my system.  Any ideas where I can get that other chord?  (I have the one with the black/green ends - did not get the one with the purple end.)  Would appreciate any help possible!

March 27th, 2004 21:00

I'm having the same problem. I have the Dimension 4600 with an integrated sound card. I replaced my old Gateway with a Dell, but didn't want to spend the money on speakers, since my old Boston Digital BA735 speakers worked just fine. Dell told me that they probably aren't "compatable." I think there HAS to be a way to get these speakers to work. Any ideas?

March 28th, 2004 14:00

I installed the 7510802.exe from Gateway's website and that didn't correct the problem either!
No Events found!