Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2012 05:00

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} Failure: Help needed.

Wondering if someone can help me with the dreaded  Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): error which has recently cropped up on my Dell Dimension 3100.

Although old, this PC was running fine, no obvious sign of impending HDD failure.  The PC is running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.  There are just some music files that I would like to retrieve if poss (to save me having to rip all CDs again).  Once I have these I'll try and reinstall XP, or just junk the whole box.

I first went to microsoft support and thought this was the answer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Then I realised that, of course, Dell install OEM version of XP, so instead I looked at this instead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-repair-windows-xp-2000-if-you-are-unable-to-boot-into-windows.8356/

Had to go into BIOS and get PC to boot from CD drive.  This went OK.

Then went to open the Repair Console.  And this is where I'm stuck.  The Recovery Console needs an Admin Password.  This was never set.  I've followed other tips here ie. using main windows password, admin, password, adminpassword, administrator (and even not entering anything 'blANK').  Each time it says that this is not valid.  So can't try any method from any forum /suppot site as I cannot get into Console.

Even went back into BIOS and set a password here (because one wasn't set at this level).  Still no joy

Does anyone know

a) What to do about password problem

b) If there is any really good post/page out there which you reckon has best explanation of how to resolve c0000218 error on an OEM PC.

Hoping there's a genius out there who can save 100 hours of re-ripping CDs!

Thanks

Bl00dyPC

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 7th, 2012 05:00

Hi Bl00dyPC,

I suggest you run the diagnostics on your hard drive before trying anything else. To test your hard drive using your Dell Drivers and Utilities disc:
1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.
3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.
4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.
5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.
6. Select Test System.
7. Select Custom Test.
7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.
9. Click Run Tests.
10. Write down any error messages.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2012 08:00

Thanks Osprey4,

Followed these instructions and all went well until step 4.  I boot up from the Dell diagnostics CD and it starts loading something up, then all of a sudden it stops, and the program loading says that this CD is only for use on recognised Dell machines.  Arrgghh.

So I went back into the Boot menu and set it just to run a diagnostic on the PC hard drive (i.e. without using the CD).

It came up with the following;

Drive 0: ST3160828AS - Fail. Return Code:7

I'm presuming that the ST31... number above is the hard drive.  Does the code 7 bit mean anything?

Thanks

BPC

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 10th, 2012 08:00

bl00dyPC

Drive 0: ST3160828AS - Fail. Return Code:7, indicates the primary SATA hard drive has failed and need's to be replaced, followed by reinstalling windows, drivers and applications.

Unless there's a warranty in effect, you need to buy an internal SATA, 3.5", 7200rpm hard drive.

Bev.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2012 10:00

Thanks, is there no way to recover the data/files etc?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 10th, 2012 11:00

bl00dyPC

One of the easier methods saving the data from a failed hard drive is to remove the hard drive and use a USB 2.0, SATA, adaptor similar to THIS and connect the hard drive to working computer and see if you can transfer the files and folders, or after replacing the hard drive and have reloaded windows and the new drive is working to your satisfaction, install the failed hard drive as the secondary, a SATA data cable would be needed for this.

If this fails to work, then you would need the services of a Data Recovery Company, to recover the files and this can be very expensive.

Bev.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2012 12:00

I'd just like to say thanks for help with this guys.

I'll think I'll just invest £20 in a SATA adapter, and treat myself to a new hi-spec base unit.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 10th, 2012 13:00

bl00dyPC

:emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!