Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2009 10:00

Studio 540st + ATI radeon 3450 = Dual monitors ?

Hello,

I think I was mistaken when I ordered my new dell. I thought it was possible to use two monitors, one connected on the DVI port (on the graphic card) and the other on the VGA port (mother board). The problem is, I can only use one chipset at once. Is there a way to use both chipset at the same time ?

Thanks in advance...

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

March 16th, 2009 13:00

kryzalyd,

The System Setup- Advanced- PnP/PCI Configurations list three options -
PCI
Onboard
PCI-E

This field controls which video solution is initialized first on boot. If you only see the ATI radeon 3450 in the device manager- display adapters, then the onboard must be disabled by having that PCI-E video card installed. Does the video card only have the DMS-59 and s-video ports?

2 Posts

March 16th, 2009 15:00

Hello Chris,

thanks for your answer. My radeon 3450 has only two ports: HDMI and DMS-59, no s-video. Into the system setup -> Advanced, there's no PnP/PCI option. I can't chose which video solution is initialized fist on boot. Anyway, I found a solution... I will use the DMS-59 port for one of my monitor, and the HDMI port for the other one, with a DVI / HDMI adapter. To be honnest, I didn't know this kind of adapter exists, so I think (hope) it could solve my problem...

Many thanks Chris :)

2 Posts

April 10th, 2009 19:00

Kryzalyd,

The solution of running the DVI and HDMI ports for dual monitors didn't work for me. I was initially told by a dell sales rep that it would so I also bought the machine (Studio Slim 540) with the upgraded 3450 thinking this would work. I purchased an HDMI to DVI adapter, didn't work. Tried installing/uninstalling/updating drivers first from the manufacture then back to the dell supplied ones, no luck. I've since sat on the phone/chat for hours with several techs and have gotten nowhere. One tech actually told me that the card wasn't built to do dual from the HDMI and DVI, but all the others said it would but were unsuccessful at making it do so.

Let me know if you get it going or get any real assistance from dell. I don't feel very confident that the techs at dell have a very good understanding this card or its capabilities. I, like you did above, have been in the spot several times explaining to dell the port configurations of this card. At one point I actually had to take the tech to the AMD website (Card Manufacture) and show him the picture of the card, that same call resulted in a resolution that I should speak with AMD to get further assistance.

I'm going to shoot AMD an email within the next week, I'll repost where I land with everything. Or maybe a dell tech who's actually familiar with this card, it's capabilities, and it being setup in this machine will respond.  - I'm not holding my breath.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2009 21:00

Kryzalyd, And dell.

After a quick conversation with AMD they confirmed this cards ability to run dual display. They recommended the update of a recently released 3400 Series Catalyst Controller/Drivers (Released 4/07/2009 - Ver 9.4) for the machine. All can be located at AMD's website by searching Support and finding drivers under the Radeon 3400 series.

With this installed, all is working, the DVI works as display 1 and HDMI (with an HDMI to DVI adapter) pushes display 2.

No Events found!