Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2013 17:00

Studio XPS 435mt new PSU

I've been having issues with my XPS 435mt turning on for several months now. It started where the computer would only turn on after being left off for a day or two. When it wouldn't turn on the power button would flash amber whenever you pushed it

Eventually it 'turn on at all anymore (the blinking amber light was still present), so I disconnected the PSU from everything it was connected to, and then reconnected it and the computer worked fine for about 4 days, turning on and off without any trouble. Eventually it stopped turning on again, and I tried disconnecting and reconnecting it again, but this time it still wouldn't turn on, and the power light wouldn't blink anymore.

I went to buy a new, cheap psu, it had a 20 +4 pin, and my mobo has a 24 pin and an 8 pin. When I connected the new psu, the power light now stays solid amber, but still will not turn on. I'm wondering if I'm maybe not connecting the psu correctly, do I connect the 20 +4 pins to the 24 pin slot on the mobo? or do I connect 20 to the 24 slot, and the +4 to the 8 pin slot?

Any help is appreciated here.

1.5K Posts

June 19th, 2013 19:00

A number one rule to follow is not to buy a cheap PSU.  A 24 pin main power connection is required and an 8 pin power connection for the CPU is required on your motherboard.  If you don't have the 8 pin 12v CPU power connector, you'll have to get a different power supply.  

No Events found!