Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2014 00:00

Studio XPS 8000 power supply upgrade

I'm gradually upgrading my i7 860 based 8000. Have added a 240gb Samsung SSD, and its running very well. Its now time to upgrade the GT220 GPU, but I thought I'd change the PSU first. I tried to fit a Corsair CX750M, and it fitted in the case, but it didn't seem to work. The PSU fan started up, as did the CPU cooler fan and the case fan, but after around five seconds it all stopped. Around 10 seconds later it tried again, but with the same results. The power button stayed orange. Before you press the power button, the LED on the MOBO is on, saying that it has power but is awaiting the command to start. When I put the old 350watt power supply back, everything was fine. In light of the above I RMA'd the PSU to ebuyer, who promptly provided a replacement, having tried the cx750 and found it faulty. Now it starts to get a bit weird because the replacement cx750m behaved in exactly the same way. Ebuyer have accepted an RMA on this one as well, and offered a third cx750m, but I was starting to get worried at this point, so decided I'd have an all singing all dancing RM650, which conforms to all the very latest standards. The RM650 arrived yesterday, and it behaves exactly the same way as the cx750m. So, has anyone on here actually managed to upgrade the power supply on a XPS 8000 and if so with what, or does anyone one know why the power supplies aren't working. The MOBO is an Intel P55, OX231R, with an i7-860, running windows 7, 64.

20 Posts

March 4th, 2014 02:00

well, to answer my own question, and after having now tried a Corsair RM650 as well, I can say it seems impossible to upgrade the power supply on this machine, and I can only assume that although the MOBO uses ATX connectors, the actual board is in some way incompatible with the standards. On the plus side, I've fitted a GTX 750 Ti Oc graphic card, and all my problems are sorted, it runs amazingly well with the old Dell, and its like having brand new computer.

1 Message

August 5th, 2015 06:00

I also have the XPS8000 and would like to upgrade the PSU and Graphics card very soon, did you find a PSU that will work, i really need to upgrade my GT220

20 Posts

August 5th, 2015 09:00

I tried three different PSUs and none worked, so I don't think its possible without changing the motherboard as well. However, mine is now fitted with a 750 Ti, which should run ok off the existing power supply.

1 Message

August 10th, 2015 14:00

I have a replacement power supply en route from newegg right now. It's an EVGA 500W model. I already have a 750Ti and have no issues with the current 350W power supply, but I am planning another video card upgrade soon so wanted to bump it up.

I find it odd that you had issues. I don't see any other posts on the Internet with this problem and I would imagine a lot of folks have had to replace/upgrade these power supplies. Will let you know how mine goes.

20 Posts

August 12th, 2015 01:00

I bet I found it odder - I tried three different supplies, the first two I sent back as faulty, and they were exchanged. I suppose the only other option is that I was sent three faulty power supplies, which is possible but unlikely. I'vestill got the last power supply, and will use it in a build at some point, which will at least prove if it's faulty or not. There is a video of a bloke actually changing out his supply for a Corsair, and he says it worked fine. The nice folks at Corsair were completely baffled by is one. Anyways, good luck with your swap!

No Events found!